Research and teaching: Geomechanics and multiphase porous media, mixtures theory, Constitutive modeling, Unsaturated structured soils, multi-scale experimental and numerical approaches to geomechanics, Hydro-mechanical coupling in double porous media
Practical Engineering applications: Deep excavations, geotechnical and underground works, soil-structure interaction, problematic soils, static and dynamic numerical study of dams and earth structures
Mother tongue: Farsi and Kurdish
Foreign Languages: English, French
Working experience with
ANSYS, Plaxis, FLAC, ZSoil
- PhD (2004-2008), Soil Mechanics Laboratory, EPFL,
- Master of Science (2003), Geotechnical Engineering, Iran University of Science and Technology, Dr. N. Shariatmadari
- Bachelor of Science (2001), Civil Engineering, University of Tehran
2010-present École Polytechnique Fédéral de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland, Research associate and Lecturer (part-time, since March)
2009-present Stucky Ltd, Consulting Engineers, Switzerland, Geotechnical Engineer
2008-2009 Stanford University, USA Postdoctoral Scholar, Postdoctoral Scholar, Structural Engineering and Geomechanics Group
2003-2008 École Polytechnique Fédéral de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland,PhD candidate, soil mechanics laboratory (2003-2008), Lecturer 2006-2007)
2002-2003 Tahkim Mabna Consultant Engineers Co., Iran, Geotechnical Engineer & Research Assistant, design of industrial solid waste landfills
2001-2002 Fara Darya Arsheh Consultant Engineers Co., Iran, Civil Engineer, Design of marine and on-shore structures
2000-2001 Istafer Construction Co., Iran, Civil Engineer, Design of industrial and petrochemical facility structures
- Co-Lecturer, Mechanics of Porous Media, EPFL Doctoral School Course, 2010,
- Lecturer: Geomechanics, Master Level course in Civil Engineering, EPFL, 2006-2007
- Teaching assistant: Mechanics of Porous media. Prof. L. Laloui, Advanced-level course at the Doctoral School of Mechanics, EPFL, Autumn 2006.
- Teaching assistant: Soil Mechanics. Prof. L. Laloui, Graduate level course, ELSTE, Universities of Lausanne and Geneva, Spring 2006.
Honors and Awards
- ALERT PhD Prize 2008, Best European PhD thesis award in Geomechanics in 2008, granted by the Alliance of Laboratories in Europe for Research and Technology Geomaterials
- EPFL remarkable PhD thesis recognition amongst the 9 best PhD theses in all technical and theoretical domains of EPFL (short list for EPFL Doctoral Award 2008)
Activities and Affiliations
- Founder of the geotechdata.info: an online open-access databse of experimental geotechnics
- Organiser of Poster Session in the 2007 annual Workshop of ALERT-Geomaterials
- Member of the American Society of Civil Engineers
- Member of Managing Board of "Nashr-e-Fan", Journal of civil engineering at UT (1997-2000).
- Mechanics of unsaturated and structured soils: experimental study and Constitutive modelling
- Concept of double porosity
- Theory of multiphase mixtures for Hydro-mechanical couplings
|Koliji A., L. Laloui, O. Cuisinier, L. Vulliet
Transport in Porous Media, Vol. 64(2), pp. 261-278, 2006.
|Suction induced effects on the fabric of a structured soil|
|Khalili N., R. Witt, L. Laloui, L. Vulliet, A. Koliji
Geophysical Research Letters, Vol. 32, No. 15, L15309, 2005
|Effective stress in double porous media with two immiscible fluids|
|A. Carminati, A. Kaestner, O. Ippisch, A. Koliji, P. Lehmann, R. Hassanein, P. Vontobel, E. Lehmann, L. Laloui, L. Vulliet, H. Flϋhler
Transport in Porous Media, 2006
|Water flow between soil aggregates|
|Koliji A., L. Vulliet, L. Laloui, A. Carminati, A. Kaestner, H. Flühler, P. Lehmann, R.Hassanein, E. Lehmann, P. Vontobel
In proceeding of 4th Int. Conf. Unsat. Soils, UNSAT06. Eds Miller et al. USA, Vol.2, 2006, p. 2174-2185.
|Structure degradation of dry aggregated soils: experimental evidence and model formulation|
|Koliji A., A. Carminati, A. Kaestner, L. Vulliet, L. Laloui, H. Fluehler, P. Vontobel, R. Hassanein
In proceeding of the international workshop GeoX06: Advances in X-Ray tomography for Geomaterials, eds. Eds. Desrues et al., ISTE, pp. 341-348, 2006.
|Experimental study of flow and deformation in aggregated soils using neutron tomography|
|Carminati A., A. Kaestner, R. Hassanein, A. Koliji
In proceeding of the international workshop GeoX06: Advances in X-Ray tomography for Geomaterials, eds. Eds. Desrues et al., ISTE, pp. 325-332, 2006.
|Hydraulic properties of aggregate-aggregate contacts|
|Koliji A., L. Laloui, O. Cuisinier, L. Vulliet
Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Unsaturated Soils: advances in testing, modelling and engineering applications, Taylor & Francis Group, pp 83-94, 2005.
|Modelling suction increase effects on the fabric of a structured soil|
|Koliji A., L. Laloui, L. Vulliet
Proceedings of the International Conference on Numerical models in geomechanics-.Numog IX, pp. 31-36, Balkema, 2004.
|Mathematical analysis of the hydric behaviour of structured soils|
|Vulliet L., L. Laloui, A. Koliji, O. Cuisinier
BAW-Workshop: Boden- und Sohl-Stabilität, Karlsruhe, pp. 4-1, 4-8, 2004
|Unsaturated structured soil with multi-porosity|
|Koliji A., N.Shariatmadari
57th Canadian Geotechnical Conference, Quebéc City,Session 2D, pp. 9-14, 2004
|Effect of material properties on the stability of solid waste landfills and potential failure mechanisms|
Enseignement & Phd
- Civil Engineering,
La géomécanique traite de l'analyse et la modélisation du comportement des sols et roches. Elle fournit les outils nécessaires à l'étude de différents problèmes géotechniques dans les domaines des infrastructures (fondations) de l'énergie (nucléaire, CO2)...