Fields of expertise
- Microstructural MRI
- Diffusion MRI
- Functional MRI
- Biophysical modeling
- Alzheimer's disease
- MR microscopy
She joined the EPFL as Research Scientist within the Center for Biomedical Imaging (CIBM) in 2015. Her work revolves around the development and validation of evermore specific tools to characterize brain microstructure and function using diffusion and functional MRI. Her current projects include biophysical modeling of diffusion in gray matter, and comparing resting-state BOLD and diffusion fMRI at ultra-high field. Dr. Jelescu further applies these tools towards understanding the interplay between microstructure and function in neurodegenerative diseases, with an emphasis on Alzheimer's disease.
Her original work as well as educational lectures have received multiple excellence awards from the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, for which she currently serves as elected committee member on the Diffusion Study Group.
Awards and Honors:
2018 - 2020: Committee member of the ISMRM Diffusion Study Group
2020: ISMRM "Summa cum Laudae" Award
2017: ISMRM Outstanding Teacher Award (the course is available here)
2016: ISMRM "Magna cum Laudae" Award and "Diffusion study group best abstract" finalist
2016: ASNR "Outstanding Functional Presentation" Award
2012: ISMRM "Summa cum Laudae" Award
2010: Irtelis PhD Fellowship
2009: Jeanne Timmins Costello Fellowship
Centre d'Imagerie Biomédicale
2015 to present
Center for Biomedical Imaging
New York University
2013 - 2015
2010 - 2013
Université Paris-Sud, Orsay, France
2010 - 2013
McGill University, Montréal, Canada
2008 - 2010
MSc / Engineer
Ecole Polytechnique, Palaiseau, France
2005 - 2010
 Diffusion MRI biomarkers of white matter microstructure vary nonmonotonically with increasing cerebral amyloid depositionNeurobiology Of Aging. 2020-05-01. DOI : 10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2020.01.009.
 MP-PCA denoising dramatically improves SNR in large-sized MRS data: an illustration in diffusion-weighted MRSISMRM 28th Annual Meeting & Exhibition, Paris, France, August 8-13, 2020.
 Intra- and extra-axonal axial diffusivities in the white matter: Which one is faster?NeuroImage. 2018-07-11. DOI : 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2018.07.020.
 Voxel size matters: big voxels are required to generate realistic extra-axonal dMRI signals from Monte Carlo simulations2018. 26th annual meeting of the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM), Paris, France, June 16-21, 2018.
 Design and Validation of Diffusion MRI Models of White MatterFrontiers In Physics. 2017. DOI : 10.3389/fphy.2017.00061.
 Jelescu IO, Palombo M, Bagnato F and Schilling KG, Challenges for biophysical modeling of microstructure. J Neuroscience Methods 2020; 344: 108861.
 Dong JW*, Jelescu IO*, Ades-Aron B, Novikov DS, Friedman K, Babb JS, Osorio RS, Galvin JE, Shepherd TM and Fieremans E, Diffusion MRI biomarkers of white matter microstructure vary nonmonotonically with increasing cerebral amyloid deposition. Neurobiology of Aging 2020; 89:118-128.
 Reynaud O, da Silva AR, Gruetter R and Jelescu IO, Multi-slice passband bSSFP for human and rodent fMRI at ultra-high field. J Magn Reson 2019; 305:31-40.
 Kunz N, da Silva AR and Jelescu IO, Intra- and extra-axonal axial diffusivities in the white matter: which one is faster? NeuroImage 2018; 181:314-322.
 Novikov DS, Veraart J, Jelescu IO and Fieremans E, Rotationally-invariant mapping of scalar and orientational metrics of neuronal microstructure with diffusion MRI. NeuroImage 2018; 174:518-538.
 Jelescu IO and Budde MD, Design and validation of diffusion MRI models of white matter. Frontiers in Physics 2017; 5:61.
 Jelescu IO, Zurek M, Winters KV, Veraart J, Rajaratnam A, Kim NS, Babb JS, Shepherd TM, Novikov DS, Kim SG and Fieremans E, In vivo quantification of demyelination and recovery using compartment-specific diffusion MRI metrics validated by electron microscopy. NeuroImage 2016; 132:104-14.
 Jelescu IO, Veraart J, Fieremans E and Novikov DS, Degeneracy in model parameter estimation for multicompartmental diffusion in neuronal tissue. NMR in Biomedicine 2016; 29(1):33-47.
 Veraart J, Fieremans E, Jelescu IO, Knoll F and Novikov DS, Gibbs ringing in diffusion MRI. Magn Reson Med 2016; 76(1):301-14.
 Koesters T, Friedman KP, Fenchel M, Zhan Y, Hermosillo G, Babb J, Jelescu IO, Faul D, Boada FE and Shepherd TM, Dixon sequence with superimposed model-based bone compartment provides highly accurate PET/MR attenuation correction of the brain. J Nucl Med. 2016; 57(6):918-24.
 Jelescu IO, Veraart J, Adisetiyo V, Milla SS, Novikov DS and Fieremans E, One diffusion acquisition and different white matter models: How does microstructure change in human early development based on WMTI and NODDI? NeuroImage 2015; 107:242-56.
 Nargeot R, Radecki G, Jelescu IO, Le Bihan D and Ciobanu L, The functional imaging of individual neurons within complex networks. Med Sci (Paris) 2015; 31(1):15-17. [French]
 Jelescu IO, Ciobanu L, Geffroy F, Marquet P and Le Bihan D, Effects of hypotonic stress and ouabain on the apparent diffusion coefficient of water at cellular and tissue levels in Aplysia. NMR Biomed. 2014; 27(3):280-90.
 Radecki G, Nargeot R, Jelescu IO, Le Bihan D and Ciobanu L, Functional magnetic resonance microscopy at single-cell resolution in Aplysia californica. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2014; 111(23):8667-72.
 Jelescu IO, Nargeot R, Le Bihan D and Ciobanu L, Highlighting manganese dynamics in the nervous system of Aplysia californica using MEMRI at ultra-high field. NeuroImage 2013; 76:264–71.
 Jelescu IO, Boulant N, Le Bihan D and Ciobanu L, Experimental demonstration of diffusion signal enhancement in 2D DESIRE images. J Magn Reson 2012; 218:44-8.
 Jelescu IO, Leppert IR, Narayanan S, Araujo D, Arnold DL and Pike GB, Dual-temporal resolution dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI protocol for blood-brain barrier permeability measurement in enhancing multiple sclerosis lesions. J Magn Reson Imaging 2011; 33(6):1291-300.
- Tristão Pereira C, Diao Y, Poitry-Yamate C, Yin T, Da Silva AR, Gruetter R and Jelescu IO, Spatio-temporal alterations in functional connectivity and white matter microstructure resulting from glucose hypometabolism in a rat model of sporadic Alzheimer's disease. BioRxiv 2020.
- Diao Y, Yin T, Gruetter R and Jelescu IO, An optimized pipeline for functional connectivity analysis in the rat brain. Arxiv 2020.
- Jelescu IO, Shepherd TM, Novikov DS, Ding Y-S, Ades-Aron B, Smith J, Vahle T, Babb JS, Friedman KP, de Leon MJ, Golomb JB, Galvin JE and Fieremans E, Spatial relationships between white matter degeneration, amyloid load and cortical volume in amnestic mild cognitive impairment. BioRxiv 2018.
Peer-reviewed conference proceedings
- Olszowy W and Jelescu IO, Does water diffusion increase or decrease following stimulation? European Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine and Biology (ESMRMB) 2020 – lightning talk.
- Pievani M, Jelescu IO, Jorge J, Reynaud O, Andryszak P, Garibotto V, Jovicich J and Frisoni GB, In-vivo imaging the locus coeruleus integrity at ultra-high field: a feasibility study. Alzheimer's Association International Conference (AAIC) 2020.
- Jelescu IO and Novikov DS, Water exchange time between gray matter compartments in vivo. International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM) 2020 – oral. Selected for Highlights Session.
- Diao Y, Tristão Pereira C, Poitry Yamate C, Yin T, da Silva A, Gruetter R and Jelescu I, Spatio-temporal alterations in functional connectivity, microstructure and cerebral glucose metabolism in a rat model of sporadic Alzheimer's. ISMRM 2020 – oral. "Summa cum Laudae" Merit Award. Selected for Highlights Session.
- Jelescu IO, Veraart J and Cudalbu C, MP-PCA denoising dramatically improves SNR in large-sized MRS data: an illustration in diffusion-weighted MRS. ISMRM 2020 – oral.
- Cudalbu C, Pierzchala K, Simicic D, Knott G, Clerc-Rousset S, Lanz B and Jelescu I, Diffusion of brain metabolites highlights altered brain microstructure in chronic hepatic encephalopathy. ISMRM 2020 – oral.
- Diao Y, Gruetter R and Jelescu I, An optimized pipeline for functional network identification in rat brain with resting-state fMRI. ISMRM 2020.
- Jelescu IO and Reynaud O, Resting-state diffusion fMRI in the rat brain at ultra-high field. Organization for Human Brain Mapping (OHBM) 2019.
- Tristão Pereira C, Diao Y, da Silva A, Yin T, Gruetter R and Jelescu I, Longitudinal changes in microstructure and functional connectivity in a rat model of Alzheimer. OHBM 2019.
- Jelescu IO, Resting-state diffusion fMRI bears strong resemblance and only subtle differences to BOLD fMRI. ISMRM 2019.
- Diao Y, Tristão Pereira C, Yin T, da Silva A, Gruetter R and Jelescu I, Spatio-temporal alterations in functional connectivity in a rat model of brain glucose metabolism disruption and sporadic Alzheimer’s disease. ISMRM 2019.
- Tristão Pereira C, Yin T, Diao Y, da Silva A and Jelescu I, Longitudinal characterization of white matter degeneration in a rat model of brain glucose hypometabolism and sporadic Alzheimer's disease. ISMRM 2019.
- Yin T, Gruetter R and Jelescu I, Altered bilateral functional connectivity in rat brain under isoflurane and medetomidine anesthesia. ISMRM 2019.
- Yin T, Jelescu I, Gruetter R and Ipek Ö, Dipole antenna for rat spinal cord imaging at ultra-high field. ISMRM 2019.
- Makani P, Gruetter R and Jelescu IO, Anesthesia affects connectivity of default-mode sub-networks in the rat in a time-dependent and region-dependent manner. International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM) 2018.
- Reynaud O, Jelescu IO and Gruetter R, Band-free whole-brain alternating SSFP fMRI provides distortion-free activation maps in the visual cortex at 7T. ISMRM 2018 – oral.
- Romascano DPR, Patino Lopez JR, Jelescu I, Barakovic M, Dyrby TB, Thiran JP and Daducci A, Voxel size matters: big voxels are required to generate realistic extra-axonal dMRI signals from Monte Carlo simulations. ISMRM 2018.
- Jelescu IO, Analysis: Tissue & Signal Models, in Educational Course on Recent Advances in Diffusion, Perfusion and fMRI. ISMRM 2017 – invited lecture. Outstanding Teacher Award.
- Jelescu IO, Kunz N, Da Silva A and Gruetter R, Intra- and extra-axonal axial diffusivities in the white matter: which one is faster? ISMRM 2017 – oral.
- Jelescu IO, Reynaud O, Da Silva A and Gruetter R, Multi-Slice Balanced SSFP Is an Excellent Alternative to GE-EPI for Rodent FMRI at Ultra-High Field. ISMRM 2017.
- Novikov DS, Veraart J, Jelescu IO and Fieremans E, Rotationally invariant mapping of microstructural and orientational neuronal tissue parameters in human brain. ISMRM 2017 – Power Pitch.
- Reynaud O, Jelescu IO and Gruetter R, Distortion-Free FMRI Using Multi-Slice 2D-BSSFP at 7 Tesla. ISMRM 2017.
- Jelescu IO, Reynaud O and Gruetter R, SSFP fMRI provides robust and distortion-free activation maps at 14 Tesla. European Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine and Biology (ESMRMB) 2016 – oral.
- Jelescu I, Zurek M, Winters K, Veraart J, Rajaratnam A, Kim N, Babb J, Shepherd T, Novikov D, Kim S and Fieremans E, Quantification of demyelination and remyelination with diffusion MRI: specific in vivo White Matter Tract Integrity Metrics agree with electron microscopy-derived features. ISMRM 2016 – oral. “Magna Cum Laudae” Merit Award.
- Dong J, Jelescu I, Ades-Aron B, Novikov D, Friedman K, Ding Y.-S., Galvin J, Shepherd T and Fieremans E, Comparison of white matter microstructure based on cerebral amyloid deposition in healthy aging and mild cognitive impairment: a multimodal PET/MR study. World Molecular Imaging Congress (WMIC) 2016 – oral.
- Dong J, Jelescu I, Ades-Aron B, Novikov D, Ding Y.-S., Friedman K, Galvin J, Shepherd T and Fieremans E, Diffusion kurtosis and derived White Matter Tract Integrity metrics in the fornix differ in beta-amyloid positive versus negative groups. American Society for NeuroRadiology (ASNR) 2016 – oral. “Outstanding Functional Presentation” Award
- Fieremans E, Dong JW, Jelescu IO, Ades-Aron B, Novikov DS, Friedman KP, Galvin JE and Shepherd TM, Early versus late changes in white matter microstructure with increasing amyloid deposition. Alzheimer’s Association International Conference (AAIC) 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jalz.2016.06.1526
- Jelescu IO, Shepherd TM, Novikov DS, Ding Y-S, Koesters T, Friedman K, Galvin JE and Fieremans E, Correlation of white matter damage and hippocampal atrophy in normal aging and amnestic Mild Cognitive Impairment (aMCI): an MR-PET study. Society for Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging 2015 – oral. J Nucl Med 56 (supplement 3), 611.
- Jelescu IO, Veraart J, Fieremans E and Novikov DS, Caveats of non-linear fitting to brain tissue models of diffusion. ISMRM 2015 – oral.
- Jelescu IO, Shepherd TM, Novikov DS, Ding YS, Koesters T, Friedman KP, Smith J, Galvin JE and Fieremans E, White matter tract integrity, amyloid burden and structural atrophy in normal aging and mild cognitive impairment: a PET-MRI study. ISMRM 2015 – Power Pitch.
- Novikov DS, Jelescu IO and Fieremans E, From Diffusion Signal Moments to Neurite Diffusivities, Volume Fraction and Orientation Distribution: An Exact Solution. ISMRM 2015 – oral.
- IO Jelescu, M Zurek, K Winters, J Veraart, A Rajaratnam, TM Shepherd, DS Novikov, SG Kim and E Fieremans, Longitudinal study of cuprizone induced white matter degeneration and recovery using diffusion White Matter Tract Integrity (WMTI) metrics. ISMRM 2015.
- Jelescu IO, Veraart J, Adisetiyo V, Milla S, Novikov DS and Fieremans E, How Does White Matter Microstructure Change in Human Early Development Based on WMTI and NODDI? ISMRM 2015.
- Jelescu I, Shepherd T, Novikov D, Ding Y-S, Koesters T, Friedman K, Smith J, Galvin J and Fieremans E, White Matter Tract Integrity, Amyloid load and Structural atrophy in aging and MCI: a PET-MRI study. OHBM 2015.
- Novikov D, Jelescu I, Veraart J and Fieremans E, LEMONADE: Linearly Estimated Moments provide Orientations of Neurites And Diffusivities Exactly. OHBM 2015.
2013 and earlier:
- Jelescu IO, Ciobanu L, Geffroy F and Le Bihan D, Effects of hypotonic stress and ouabain on apparent diffusion coefficient at cellular and tissue levels. ISMRM 2013 – oral.
- Jelescu IO, Nargeot R, Le Bihan D and Ciobanu L, Highlighting Manganese Transport Mechanisms in the Nervous System with MEMRI in Aplysia Californica. ISMRM 2012 – oral. Summa cum Laudae Merit Award.
- Jelescu IO, Nargeot R, Djemaï B, Le Bihan D and Ciobanu L, Manganese enhanced MRI highlighting neuronal pathways of the buccal ganglion in Aplysia californica. International Conference in Magnetic Resonance Microscopy 2011 – oral.
- Jelescu IO, Leppert IR, Narayanan S, Arnold DL and Pike GB, Effects of Temporal Resolution on Blood-Brain Barrier Permeability Measurement with Dynamic Contrast Enhanced MRI in Multiple Sclerosis Enhancing Lesions. ISMRM 2010.
- Safiullin K, Jelescu IO and Nacher PJ, Hyperpolarized He-3 MRI at very low magnetic field. ESMRMB 2008.