Italo Ivan Dacosta Petrocelli
Italo Dacosta is a Post-Doctoral Researcher at Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland, in the Laboratory for Communications and Applications 1 (LCA1) headed by Jean-Pierre Hubaux, since September 2014. Before EPFL, he was a Post-Doctoral Researcher at KU Leuven, Belgium, in the iMinds-DistriNet research group, under the supervision of Bart De Decker. He completed his Ph.D. in Computer Science and M.S. in Information Security degrees at the Georgia Institute of Technology, Georgia Tech Information Security Center (GTISC) under the supervision of Patrick Traynor and Mustaque Ahamad.
- Privacy-protection mechanisms for ride-hailing services with Anh Pham.
- Anonymous communication protocols with Ludovic Barman.
- Quantification of co-location information and privacy aspects of interdependent data with Alexandra Olteanu.
- Privacy of mobile health (mHealth) apps with Anh Pham.
- Automatic and context-aware mobile permissions for Android.
Fields of expertise
Privacy Enhancing Technologies (PETs), identity management, network security, mobile security
|Ph.D.||Computer Science||Georgia Institute of Technology||2007-2012|
|M.S.||Information Security||Georgia Institute of Technology||2005-2007|
|B.E.||Electronic and Communication Engineering||Universidad de Panama||1997-2002|
- K. Huguenin, I. Bilogrevic, J. S. Machado, S. Mihaila, R. Shokri, I. Dacosta, J.-P. Hubaux. A Predictive Model for User Motivation and Utility Implications of Privacy Protection Mechanisms in Location Check-Ins. In IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, to appear, 2018.
- A.-M. Olteanu, K. Huguenin, I. Dacosta, and J.-P. Hubaux. Consensual and Privacy-Preserving Sharing of Multi-Subject and Interdependent Data. In Proceedings of the Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS), 2018
- A. Pham, I. Dacosta, G. Endignoux, J. Troncoso-Pastoriza, K. Huguenin, and J.-P. Hubaux. ORide: A Privacy-Preserving yet Accountable Ride-Hailing Service. In Proceedings of the 26th USENIX Security Symposium, Vancouver, BC, Canada, 2017.
- A. Pham, I. Dacosta, B. Jacot-Guillarmod, K. Huguenin, T. Hajar, F. Tramer, V. Gligor and J.-P. Hubaux. PrivateRide: A Privacy-Enhanced Ride-Hailing Service. In Proceedings of 17th Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium (PETS), Minneapolis, USA, 2017.
- K. Olejnik, I. Dacosta, J. S. Machado, K. Huguenin, M. E. Khan, J.-P. Hubaux. SmarPer: Context-Aware and Automatic Runtime-Permissions for Mobile Devices . In Proceedings of the 38th IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (S&P), San Jose, CA, United States, 2017.
- Ludovic Barman, Mahdi Zamani, Italo Dacosta, Joan Feigenbaum, Bryan Ford, Jean-Pierre Hubaux, and David Wolinsky, PriFi: A Low-Latency and Tracking-Resistant Protocol for Local-Area Anonymous Communication, In Proceedings of the Workshop on Privacy in the Electronic Society (WPES), 2016.
- T. V. A. Pham, K. Huguenin, I. Bilogrevic, I. I. Dacosta Petrocelli, and J.-P. Hubaux, "SecureRun: Cheat- Proof and Private Summaries for Location-Based Activities", in IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (IEEE TMC), 2015.
- Milica Milutinovic, Italo Dacosta, Andreas Put, and Bart De Decker, "uCentive: An efficient, anonymous and unlinkable incentives scheme", IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (TrustCom), 2015.
- Andreas Put, Italo Dacosta, and Bart De Decker, "EmailCloak: A Practical and Flexible Approach to Improve Email Privacy", in International Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security (ARES), 2014.
- Andreas Put, Italo Dacosta, Milica Milutinovic, Bart De Decker, Stefaan Seys, Faysal Boukayoua, Vincent Naessens, Kris Vanhecke, Toon De Pessemier, and Luc Martens, "inShopnito: An Advanced yet Privacy- Friendly Mobile Shopping Application", Proceedings of IEEE World Congress on Services, 2014.
- Henry Carter, Chaitrali Amrutkar, Italo Dacosta, and Patrick Traynor, "For Your Phone Only: Custom Protocols for Efficient Secure Function Evaluation on Mobile Devices", Journal of Security and Communication Networks (SCN), 2013.
- Italo Dacosta, Mustaque Ahamad and Patrick Traynor, "Trust No One Else: Detecting MITM Attacks Against SSL/TLS Without Third-Parties", Proceedings of the European Symposium on Research in Computer Security (ESORICS), 2012.
- Italo Dacosta, Saurabh Chakradeo, Mustaque Ahamad and Patrick Traynor, "One-Time Cookies: Preventing Session Hijacking Attacks with Disposable Credentials", ACM Transactions on Internet Technology (TOIT), Volume 12 Issue 1, June 2012.
- Nilesh Nipane, Italo Dacosta and Patrick Traynor, "Mix-In-Place Anonymous Networking Using Secure Function Evaluation", Proceedings of the Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (ACSAC), December 2011.
- Italo Dacosta, Vijay Balasubramaniyan, Mustaque Ahamad and Patrick Traynor, "Improving Authentication Performance of Distributed SIP Proxies", IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS), Volume 22, no.11, pp.1804-1812, November 2011.
- Italo Dacosta and Patrick Traynor, "Proxychain: Developing a Robust and Efficient Authentication Infrastructure for Carrier-Scale VoIP Networks", USENIX Annual Technical Conference (ATC), 2010.
- Italo Dacosta, Vijay Balasubramaniyan, Mustaque Ahamad and Patrick Traynor, "Improving Authentication Performance of Distributed SIP Proxies", Conference on Principles, Systems and Applications of IP Telecommunications (IPTComm), 2009.
- Italo Dacosta, Neel Mehta, Evan Metrock, and Jonathon Giffin, "Security analysis of an IP phone: Cisco 7960G", Conference on Principles, Systems and Applications of IP Telecommunications (IPTComm), 2008.
- Vijay Balasubramaniyan, Arup Acharya, Mustaque Ahamad, Mudhakar Srivatsa, Italo Dacosta and Charles Wright, "SERvartuka: Dynamic Distribution of State to Improve SIP Server Scalability", IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), 2008.