Jan 2018-Present: Scientific collaborator, EPFL
Cryo-SEM and cryo-preparation. Method development, prep- and microscopy service for users.
Jan 2015-Dec 2017: Postdoc, UNIL & EPFL
Planning and customizing a novel cryo-SEM, which at the present moment is among the most advanced cryo-SEM machines in the world.
Writing the request for tender and implementing a full prep lab for cryoSEM.
Cryo-NanoSIMS method development and electron microscopy.
Oct 2013-Dec 2014: Postdoc, DTU Center for Electron Nanoscopy
Electron microscopy in Nanotoxicology. Total activities in DTU: http://bit.ly/2fRbP9v
Jun 2013-Oct 2013: Research assistant, DTU Center for Electron Nanoscopy (CEN)
Setting up a prep lab for biological electron microscopy in Center for Electron Nanoscopy, DTU
Oct 2009-Jun 2013: PhD student, DTU Mechanical Engineering (and affiliated with DTU CEN)
Electron microscopy of the ultrastructure of emulsions. Supervisor: Andy Horsewell.
Apr 2008-Oct 2009: Research assistant, DTU Aqua
Chemical and sensorial analysis and correlation by multivariate statistics in studies of freezing and thawing of fish.
2007. M.Sc. Engineering, Biotechnology & molecular microbiology. Technical University of Denmark.
Thesis work, 1 year, on the function of a gene which is important for DNA repair and certain cancer types: “Characterization of the functional importance of rad52 mutants in spontaneous recombination and DNA double strand break repair”
Awards and Scholarships
Exceptional paper 2017 in Environmental Toxicology & Chemistry.
Awarded the Don Claugher Bursary from the Society of Electron Microscope Technology, 2013.
Research visits and courses
January 2018 Basics of Tokuyasu Techniques, Cellbiology, UMC Utrecht.
November 2014 Zeiss Merlin workshop, Umeå Core Facility Electron Microscopy, Sweden. Critical point drying and energy selective low kV SEM.
May 2014 CEMOVIS training by Helmut Gnaegi, King’s College London, England.
April October-November 2014 Research stays at Centre for Ultrastructural Imaging, King’s College London, England. High pressure freezing, CEMOVIS, freeze drying, STEM EDX, 3View SEM.
January-April 2012, June-August 2012 October 2012 Research stays at Electron Microscopy Facility (EMF), Université de Lausanne, Switzerland. High pressure freezing and freeze-substitution, cryoSEM, TEM.
January 2011 CryoTEM work at Kemicentrum, Lunds Universitet, Sweden.
March 2011 Research stay at Biozentrum, Martin Luther Universität Halle-Wittenberg, Germany. Propane jet freezing and freeze-fracture replicas.
October 2010 EELS-EFTEM meeting, ETH Zürich, Switzerland.
June 2010 High Pressure Freezing & cryoSEM at Electron Microscopy ETH Zürich (EMEZ), Switzerland.
March 2010 Cool snaps, cryo electron microscopy course, Rothamstead research station, England.
January 2010 Winter school, cryo transmission electron tomography. Electron Microscopy ETH Zürich (EMEZ), Switzerland.
2011 University level teaching, DTU.
2009 Multivariate statistics course, CAMO.
2007-2008 Certified leader coach.
Fields of expertise
Electron microscopy of soft materials. Especially cryo-SEM, low voltage SEM and related prep techniques.
(cryo-) SEM, VP-SEM, FIBSEM, (cryo-) TEM, STEM, EDX, CLSM, fluorescence microscopy. Method development for CryoNanoSIMS.
Experience with a multitude of sample types such as unicellular organisms, biofilms, invertebrates, polymers, liquid suspensions, nanoparticles, emulsions, building materials, sediments, foodstuff and plants.
Experience with all freezing methods for cryo-SEM and –TEM including all brands of high pressure freezers, slam freezing, propane jet freezing, guillotine systems and plunge freezers. Experience with all cold stage systems on the market for cryo-SEM. Ultramicrotomy: standard, serial, cryo and cryo-planing. Freeze substitution, freeze drying, standard chemical fixation etc.
3D reconstruction of microscopy data from FIB, 3View and array tomography. Multivariate statistics and modelling. Microbiology and molecular biology methods. Sensory and chemical analysis.
Updated December 2018
1. Gibbin E, Gavish A, Krueger T, Kramarski-Winter E, Shapiro O, Guiet R, Jensen L, Vardi A, Meibom A (2018). Vibrio coralliilyticus infection triggers a behavioral response and perturbs nutritional exchange and tissue integrity in a symbiotic coral. ISME J. In press.
2. Holguera JG, Etui ID, Jensen LHS, Peña J (2018). Contaminant loading and competitive access of Pb, Zn and Mn(III) to vacancy sites in biogenic MnO2. Chemical Geology 502 76-87.
3. Hansen MJ, Pedersen CL, Jensen LHS, Guldberg LB, Feilberg A, Nielsen LP (2018). Removal of hydrogen sulphide from pig house using biofilter with fungi. Biosystems Engineering 167 32-39.
4. Koho KA, Le Kieffre C, Nomaki H, Salonen I, Geslin E, Mabilleau G, Jensen LHS, Reichart G-J (2018). Changes in ultrastructural features of the foraminifera Ammonia spp. in response to anoxic conditions: Field and laboratory observations. Marine micropaleontology 138 72-82.
5. Hartmann NB, Rist S, Bodin J, Jensen LHS, Schmidt SN, Mayer P, Meibom A, Baun A (2017). Microplastics as vectors for environmental contaminants: Exploring sorption, desorption, and transfer to biota. Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management 13 (3) 488-493.
6. Jensen LS, Skjolding LM, Thit A, Sørensen SN, Købler C, Mølhave K, Baun A (2017) Not All that Glitters is Gold – Electron Microscopy Study on Uptake of Gold Nanoparticles in Daphnia Magna and Related Artefacts. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 36 (6) 1503-1509. *
7. Karadag A, Hermund DB, Jensen LHS, Andersen U, Jonsdottir R, Kristinsson HG, Alasalvar C, Jacobsen C (2017) Oxidative stability and microstructure of 5% fish-oil-enriched granola bars added natural antioxidants derived from brown alga Fucus vesiculosus. European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology 119 (4) 1500578.
8. Green M, Haigh SJ, Lewis EA, Sandiford L, Burkitt-Gray M, Fleck R, Vizcay-Barrena G, Jensen L, Mirzai H, Curry RJ, Dailey L-A. (2016) The Biosynthesis of Infrared-Emitting Quantum Dots in Allium Fistulosum. Nature - Scientific Reports 6 20480.
9. Horn AF, Green-Petersen D, Nielsen NS, Andersen U, Jensen LHS, Horsewell A, Jacobsen C. (2012) Addition of fish oil to cream cheese affects lipid oxidation, sensory stability and microstructure. Agriculture 2 359-375.
10. Lu FSH, Nielsen NS, Baron CP, Jensen LHS, Jacobsen C (2012) Physico-chemical Properties of Marine Phospholipid Emulsions. Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society 89 (11) 2011-2024.
11. Horn AF, Nielsen NS, Jensen LHS, Horsewell A, Jacobsen C (2012) The choice of homogenisation equipment affects lipid oxidation in emulsions. Food Chemistry 134 (2) 803-810.
12. Dudkiewicz A, Tiede K, Löschner K, Jensen LHS, Jensen E, Wierzbicki R, Boxall ABA, Mølhave K (2011) Characterisation of nanomaterials in food by electron microscopy. TrAC Trends in Analytical Chemistry 30 (1) 28-43.
13. Horn AF, Nielsen NS, Andersen U, Søgaard LH, Horsewell A, Jacobsen C (2011) Oxidative stability of 70% fish oil-in-water emulsions: Impact of emulsifiers and pH. European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology 113 (10) 1243–1257.
14. Jensen LHS, Nielsen J, Jørgensen BM, Frosch S (2010) Cod and rainbow trout as freeze-chilled meal elements. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 90 (3) 376-384.
1. Kasama T, Gamaletsos P, Escrig S, Wenzell B, Jensen LHS, Meibom A, Sokaras D, Weng T-C, Dimitriadis D, Godelitsas A (2018). Nanoscale observations of ‘invisible gold’ from the Olympias mine, Greece. Nordic Geological Winter Meeting 2018, Kongens Lyngby, Denmark.
2. Cheng T, Plane F, Jensen LHS, van den Brandt B, Comment A, Meibom A (2017). A new passive system for contamination-free long-distance cryo-transfer of biological tissues. IOP Conf. Series. Materials Science and Engineering 278 012123.
3. Jensen LHS, Vizcay-Barrena G, Skjolding LM, Sørensen SN, Thit A, Hjorth R, Købler C, Mølhave K, Fleck RA, Meibom A, Baun A (2016). SSOM Interdisciplinary Symposium on 3D Microscopy, Les Diablerets, Switzerland.
4. Jensen LHS, Plane F, Cheng T, Escrig S, Comment A, van den Brandt B, Humbel BM, Meibom A (2016). En route to ion microprobe analysis of soluble compounds at single cell level: The CryoNanoSIMS. SSOM Interdisciplinary Symposium on 3D Microscopy, Les Diablerets, Switzerland.
5. Jensen LHS, Plane F, Cheng T, Escrig S, Comment A, van den Brandt B, Humbel BM, Meibom A (2016). En route to ion microprobe analysis of soluble compounds at single cell level: The CryoNanoSIMS. The 16th European Microscopy Congress, Lyon, France.
6. Cheng T, Plane F, Jensen L, Escrig S, Humbel BM, van den Brandt B, Comment A, Meibom A (2016). Realization of sub-cellular resolution cryogenic ion microprobeimaging with vitrified samples. Chianti Workshop Magnetic Resonance for Cellular Structural Biology Principina Terra (Grosseto), Italy.
7. Jensen LS, Sørensen SN, Thit A, Skjolding LM, Købler C, Mølhave K, Baun A (2014).
Localization and analysis of engineered nanoparticles in Daphnia magna. 18th International Microscopy Congress, Prague
8. Jensen LHS, Sørensen SN, Hartmann NB, Baun A, Fleck RA (2014)
Towards localization and analysis of engineered silver nanoparticles in Pseudokirchneriella subcapitata. 18th International Microscopy Congress, Prague
9. Jensen LHS, Sørensen SN, Hartmann NB, Baun A, Fleck RA (2014)
Localization and analysis of engineered silver nanoparticles in Pseudokirchneriella subcapitata. Scandem2014. The annual meeting of the Nordic Microscopy Society
10. Jensen LHS, Loussert C, Humbel BM, Horn AF, Jacobsen C, Nielsen NS, Horsewell A (2013) Ultrastructure of oil in water emulsions. DGE – German Society for Electron Microscopy Proceedings of MC2013 Regensburg, Germany 361-362
11. Jensen LHS, Loussert C, Humbel B, Horn AF, Nielsen NS, Jacobsen C, Horsewell A (2013) Ultra structure of oil/water emulsions. Scandem2013. The annual meeting of the Nordic Microscopy Society 30
12. Jensen LHS, Loussert C, Humbel B, Horn AF, Nielsen NS, Jacobsen C, Horsewell A (2013) Ultra structure of oil-in-water emulsions; a compararison of different microscopy- and preparation methods. Scandem2013. The annual meeting of the Nordic Microscopy Society 30
13. Horn AF, Nielsen NS, Jensen LHS, Horsewell A, Jacobsen C (2012) Emulsification technique affects oxidative stability of fish oil-in-water emulsions. Science and Technology of Food Emulsions, London
14. Pedersen CL, Dezhao L, Hansen, MJ, Feilberg A, Jensen LHS, Guldberg LB, Schramm A, Nielsen LP (2012) Sulfide oxidation in a biofilter. 14th International Symposium on Microbial Ecology, Copenhagen
15. Jensen LHS, Loussert C, Horn AF, Jacobsen C, Nielsen NS, Horsewell A (2012) The structure of omega3 food emulsions. Proceedings of the 15th European Microscopy Congress, Manchester, UK, 1097
16. Jensen, LHS, Horn AF, Jacobsen C, Nielsen NS, Horsewell A (2011) Cryo-FIB SEM for Characterization of the Structure of Fish Oil Emulsions. DGE – German Society for Electron Microscopy Proceedings of MC 2011 Kiel, Germany Vol.3 Material Science M7-P633
17. Horn AF, Nielsen NS, Jensen LHS, Horsewell A, Jacobsen C (2011) Emulsification technique affects oxidative stability of fish oil-in-water emulsion. 102nd AOCS Annual Meeting & Expo, Ohio, USA.
18. Horn AF, Nielsen NS, Andersen U, Jensen LHS, Horsewell A, Jacobsen, C (2011) Lipid oxidation in omega-3 emulsions prepared with milk proteins. 26th Nordic LipidFORUM Symposium, Ålesund, Norway
19. Soegaard LH, Horn AF, Jacobsen, C, Nielsen, NS, Horsewell A (2010) Characterization of Emulsions of Fish Oil and Water by Cryo Scanning Electron Microscopy. 17th International Microscopy Congress, Rio de Janeiro
20. Jensen LHS, Nielsen J, Jørgensen BM, Frosch S (2009) Quality effect of freeze-chilling in cod and rainbow trout. 3rd Joint Trans-Atlantic Fisheries Technology Conference, 2009, Copenhagen