I was born in Podgorica, Montenegro, in November 1987. I received the BSc degree in electrical engineering in 2009 from the University of Montenegro and the MSc degree in optics and RF engineering in 2011 from the Grenoble Institute of Technology (Phelma/Grenoble INP). In 2014, after staying for three years with the Grenoble-Image-sPeech-Signal-Automatics Laboratory (GIPSA-lab), as a French Government fellow, I obtained the Doctorate degree in signal, image, speech processing and telecommunications, from the Communauté Université Grenoble Alpes, and simultaneously, the PhD degree in technical sciences, from the University of Montenegro. Since then, I've been staying as a postdoctoral researcher with the Environmental Remote Sensing Laboratory (LTE) at EPFL, as well as with the Radar, Satellites, Nowcasting department (MDR) at MeteoSwiss.
My research is mostly related to SAR and weather radar remote sensing, with a particular emphasis on radar polarimetry. Currently, I am focused on the remote sensing of atmosphere. On the whole, my research interests include statistical signal and image processing as well as machine learning/data mining techniques, tightly bound to electromagnetism and Earth sciences.
Peer-reviewed journal papers:
- F. Gerber, N. Besic, V. Sharma, M. Daniels, M. Gabella, R. Mott, U. Germann, A. Berne, and M. Lehning, „Explained variability of snow precipitation and accumulation by COSMO-WRF simulations over complex terrain”, The Cryosphere, vol. 12, pp. 3137-3160, 2018.
- N. Besic, J. Gehring, C. Praz, J. Figueras i Ventura, J. Grazioli, M. Gabella, U. Germann, and A. Berne, “Unraveling hydrometeor mixtures in polarimetric radar measurements”, Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, vol. 11, pp. 4847-4866, 2018.
- S. Trefalt, A. Martynov, H. Barras, N. Besic, A. Hering, S. Lenggenhager, P. Noti, M. Roethlisberger, S. Schemm, U. Germann and O. Martius, “A severe hail storm in complex topography in Switzerland – observations and processes”, AMS Atmospheric Research, vol. 209, pp. 76-94, 2017.
- D. Nerini, N. Besic, I. Sideris, U. Germann, and L. Foresti, “A non-stationary stochastic ensemble generator for radar rainfall fields based on the Short-Space Fourier Transform”, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, vol. 21, pp. 2777-2797, 2017.
- N. Besic, J. Figueras i Ventura, J. Grazioli, M. Gabella, U. Germann, and A. Berne, “Hydrometeor classification through statistical clustering of polarimetric radar measurements: a semi-supervised approach”, Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, vol. 9, pp. 4425-4445, 2016.
- L. Pralon, G. Vasile, M. Dalla Mura, J. Chanussot and N. Besic, “Evaluation of ICA Based ICTD for PolSAR Data Analysis Using a Sliding Window Approach: Convergence Rate, Gaussian Sources and Spatial Correlation”, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 4262-4271, 2016.
- N. Besic, G. Vasile, J. Chanussot, and S. Stankovic, ”Polarimetric incoherent target decomposition by means of Independent Component Analysis”, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 1236-1247, 2015.
- N. Besic, G. Vasile, J.-P. Dedieu, J. Chanussot, and S. Stankovic, ”Stochastic Approach in Wet Snow Detection using Multitemporal SAR Data”, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 244-248, 2015.
- N. Besic, G. Vasile, A. Anghel, T. Petrut, C. Ioana, S. Stankovic, A. Girard and G. d’Urso, ”Zernike Ultrasonic Tomography for Fluid Velocity Imaging based on Pipeline Intrusive Time-of-Flight Measurements”, IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, vol. 61, no. 11, pp. 1846-1855, 2014.
- N. Besic, G. Vasile, F. Gottardi, J. Gailhard, A. Girard, and G. d’Urso, ”Calibration of a Distributed SWE Model Using MODIS Snow Cover Maps and In Situ Measurements”, Remote Sensing Letters, vol. 5, iss. 3, pp. 230-239, 2014.
Enseignement & Phd
- Environmental Sciences and Engineering,