2) Engineer, proof and diffuse innovative solutions for water infrastructure construction, rehabilitation, operation and upgrading.
3) Foster sustainable hydropower worldwide.
Travail en cours
1) Lead researcher in Hydropower infrastructure adaptation
2) Project Manager of the Demonstrator on Large Hydropower schemes.
His main research interests are on energy dissipation structures, multiphase flows, transient flows, fluid-structure interaction, sediment management and sustainable hydropower. He is an expert in hydraulic structures, dam safety, feasibility studies and design optimization.
From 2014 to 2019 he was responsible for the Hydropower Infrastructure Adaptation work plan of the SCCER-SoE (Swiss Competence Center for Energy Research on Hydropower), seconded to the EPFL.
He graduated from IST Lisbon in 1998, started his career at DHV Portugal in the water & environment department. In 2001 he joined the Laboratory of Hydraulic Constructions (LCH) at the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) where he conducted several engineering and research projects until 2006, and obtained a PhD on the field of rock scour downstream dams. In 2003 he received ICOLD honor certificate for the Next Generation and in 2006 he was granted the ASCE J. C. Stevens Award. From 2006 to 2014 he worked at Stucky Ltd in Lausanne for Greenfield hydropower projects, as well as for renewal and upgrading of existing hydropower schemes and dams in Europe, Africa and Asia, from the study phase till commissioning. Since 2016 he is managing director of MHYD Ltd, an engineering spin-off consultant on water and sustainable hydropower, active at global scale.
|Lecturer||Plateforme de Constructions Hydrauliques||EPFL||2016|
|Senior Associate||SCCER-SoE||EPFL||since 11.2014|
|Engineer, Project Manager & KAM||Dams Department||STUCKY||2006-2014|
|Technical Director/CTO||branch office Portugal||STUCKY||2010-2012|
|Resident Project Manager||Enguri HEPP 1300 MW rehab., Georgia||STUCKY||05.2007- 06.2008|
|Research fellow||CEHIDRO||IST, Portugal (inc. 3-month stay at IPH-UFRGS Brazil)||2006|
|Research and Teaching Assistant||LCH||EPFL, Switzerland||2000-2006|
|Chartered Engineer (P.E.)||Portuguese Chamber of Engineers||1999|
|Engineer||Water & Environment Department||DHV Royal Haskoning, Portugal||1998-1999|
|Exec. Educ. Judge Business School||General Management Program||Cambridge University, UK||2014|
|Docteur es sciences (Dr Eng.)||Dam safety, water-rock-air interactions||EPFL, Switzerland||2002-2006|
|Advanced Master||Hydraulic Schemes||EPFL & ETHZ, Switzerland||1999-2002 (part-time)|
|Master thesis (Erasmus)||Coastal Engineering||TU Delft, The Netherlands||1998|
|Master||Civil Engineering||IST Lisbon, Portugal||1993-1998|
SmallFLEX - introducing flexible operation on mountain run-of-the-river hydropower schemes. Academic partners: EAWAG, WSL, EPFL-LMH and HES-SO. Industrial partners: Forces Motrices Valaisannes (FMV)
Research work on:
- Storage alternatives & multipurpose infrastructure
- Aeration and deaeration of pressurized hydraulic waterways
- Interplay between water & sediment nowcasting and HHP operation
- Operation of pelton turbines with variable head & jet instability
- Virtual HPP operation and monitoring
- Downstream impact of flexible operation in winter & transition months
RenovHYDRO - renovation of hydropower plants considering new functionalities and services to the grid, in particular:
- adding intra-seasonal flexibility through storage
- hydropeaking mitigation
- combined asset portfolios
Academic partners: EAWAG, WSL, ETHZ-VAW, EPFL-LMH and HES-SO.
Industrial partners: Kraftwerke Oberhasli (KWO)
Research work on:
- Impulse waves
- Storage management as function of variable demand patterns
- Cascade flushing
- Suspended sediment flushing and related turbine abrasion thresholds
- Pump-turbine instability
Chopin S2C - Caractérisation hydraulique des orifices des chambres d'équilibre d'aménagements à haute chute, paramétrage et influence sur la stabilité du système en charge
HydroNET2 - Methodologies for hydropower plants. Research work on:
- Robust design of hydropower plants under uncertainties
- Design of steel lined pressure tunnels and shafts
IST-EPFL Joint Doctoral Initiative - Environmental hydraulics. Research work on:
- Fluid-structure interaction during hydraulic transients (2015-2016)
- Inline micro-hydropower units in Water Supply networks (2014-2016)
- Uncertainties in water resources quantification in Alpine environments
development in a changing environment (2014-2015)
SEDITRANS: Sediment transport in fluvial, estuarine and coastal environment (Marie Curie Actions Initial Training Networks FP7-PEOPLE-2013-ITN N. 607394 (2013-2014), http://www.seditrans.civil.upatras.gr/)
Dynamic loads generated by high-velocity diffusive jet layers in real-life plunge pools (04/2006 11/2006). IST Portugal, IPH/UFRGS Brazil and EPFL/LCH Switzerland. Funded by Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT), Portugal.
ESHA Thematic network on Small Hydro, European Small Hydro Association, Switzerland (2003-2004). Network of 11 institutions within the ESHA for promotion of mini-hydro. 4th European Framework program.