Ali H. Sayed
BM 4102 (Bâtiment BM)
+41 21 693 69 44
+41 21 693 56 91
Office: BM 4102
EPFL > STI > STI-DEC > STI-DO
Web site: Web site: https://sti.epfl.ch/page-1740.html
EPFL STI IEL ASL
BM 4102 (Bâtiment BM)
Web site: Web site: https://asl.epfl.ch
BiographyAli H. Sayed is Dean of Engineering at EPFL, Switzerland, where he also leads the Adaptive Systems Laboratory. He has also served as Distinguished Professor and Chairman of Electrical Engineering at UCLA. He is recognized as a Highly Cited Researcher and is a member of the US National Academy of Engineering. He is also a member of the World Academy of Sciences and served as President of the IEEE Signal Processing Society during 2018 and 2019.
Dr. Sayed is an author/co-author of over 570 scholarly publications and six books. His research involves several areasincluding adaptation and learning theories, data and network sciences, statistical inference, and multiagent systems.
His work has been recognized with several major awards including the 2022 IEEE Fourier Award, the 2020 Norbert Wiener Society Award and the 2015 Education Award from the IEEE Signal Processing Society, the 2014 Papoulis Award from the European Association for Signal Processing, the 2013 Meritorious Service Award and the 2012 Technical Achievement Award from the IEEE Signal Processing Society, the 2005 Terman Award from the American Society for Engineering Education, the 2005 Distinguished Lecturer from the IEEE Signal Processing Society, the 2003 Kuwait Prize, and the 1996 IEEE Donald G. Fink Prize. His publications have been awarded several Best Paper Awards from the IEEE (2002, 2005, 2012, 2014) and EURASIP (2015). He is a Fellow of IEEE, EURASIP, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS); the publisher of the journal Science.
ResearchAdaptation and learning theories, data and network sciences, statistical inference, adaptive networks, optimization, biologically-inspired models.
Honors & Recognitions
- IEEE Fourier Award, 2022.
- World Academy of Sciences, 2021.
- Norbert Wiener Society Award, IEEE Signal Processing Society, 2020.
- Fellow, European Association for Signal Processing, 2019
- US National Academy of Engineering, 2018.
- Education Award, IEEE Signal Processing Society, 2015.
- Leverhulme Visiting Professorship, United Kingdom, 2013-2015
- Papoulis Award, European Association for Signal Processing, 2014.
- Meritorious Service Award, IEEE Signal Processing Society, 2013.
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2013.
- Technical Achievement Award, IEEE Signal Processing Society, 2012.
- Terman Award, American Society for Engineering Education, 2005.
- Distinguished Lecturer, IEEE Signal Processing Society, 2005
- Kuwait Prize in Basic Sciences, 2003
- Fellow, IEEE, 2001
- IEEE Donald G. Fink Prize, 1996
- Several Best Paper Awards
- Several Plenary Lectures
- Highly Cited Researcher
- Founding Editor-in-Chief, Open Access Book Series on Information and Learning Sciences, NOW, 2021-
- Editor-in-Chief, EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, Jan. 2006-Dec. 2007.
- Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Jan. 2003-Dec. 2005.
- Member of several editorial boards.
- Co-editorship of several special issues.
Teaching & PhD
Electrical and Electronics Engineering