Anastasia Ailamaki is a Professor of Computer Sciences at the Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (EPFL) in Switzerland. Her research interests are in database systems and applications, and in particular
(a) in strengthening the interaction between the database software and emerging hardware and I/O devices, and
(b) in automating database management to support computationally-demanding and demanding data-intensive scientific applications.
She has received an ERC Consolidator grant (2013), a Finmeccanica endowed chair from the Computer Science Department at Carnegie Mellon (2007), a European Young Investigator Award from the European Science Foundation (2007), an Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellowship (2005), seven best-paper awards at top conferences (2001-2011), and an NSF CAREER award (2002). She earned her Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2000. She is a member of IEEE and ACM, and has also been a CRA-W mentor. She also serves at the Global Agenda Council for Data, Society and Development of the World Economic Forum.
Anastasia's research interests are in the broad area of database systems and applications, with emphasis on database system behavior on modern processor hardware and disks. Her projects aim at building systems to strengthen the interaction between the database software and the underlying hardware and I/O devices. She is also working on automated schema design and computational database support for scientific applications, as well as storage device modeling, performance prediction, and internet query caching.
Ph.D. Computer Science, University of Wisconsin, Madison, December 2000
Thesis: Architecture-Conscious Database Systems
M.Sc. Computer Science, University of Rochester, June 1996
M.Sc. Computer Engineering, Technical University of Crete, Greece, October 1993
Thesis: Managing Dynamic Changes in the Object-Oriented DBMS OVM
B.Sc. Computer Engineering, University of Patra, Greece, September 1990
Thesis: ITYMAIL V2.0: An E-Mail Exchange System For Heterogeneous Computer Networks
Scientific Data Management
- Farhan Tauheed, Laurynas Biveinis, Thomas Heinis, Felix Schuermann, Henry Markram, Anastasia Ailamaki. Speeding Up Range Queries For Brain Simulations. Proceedings of the 28th International Conference on Data Engineering, 2012.
- Debabrata Dash, Neoklis Polyzotis, and Anastasia Ailamaki. CoPhy: A Scalable, Portable, and Interactive Index Advisor for Large Workloads. International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment, Vol. 6, Nr. 4, 2011.
- Stratos Idreos, Ioannis Alagiannis, Ryan Johnson, Anastasia Ailamaki. Here are my Data Files. Here are my Queries. Where are my Results? Proceedings of the Fifth Biennial Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research (CIDR), Asilomar, California, January 2011.
Data Management on Modern Hardware and Devices
- Ippokratis Pandis, Pinar Tözün, Ryan Johnson, Anastasia Ailamaki. PLP: Page Latch-free Shared-everything OLTP, International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment, Vol. 4, Nr. 11, 2011.
- Manos Athanassoulis, Shimin Chen, Phillip Gibbons, Anastasia Ailamaki, Radu Stoica. MaSM: Efficient Online Updates in Data Warehouses. Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD Conference on Management of Data, Athens Greece, June 2011.
- Ippokratis Pandis, Ryan Johnson, Nikos Hardavellas, and Anastasia Ailamaki: Data-Oriented Transaction Execution. International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment, Vol. 3, Nr. 1, 2010.
- Ryan Johnson, Ippokratis Pandis, Radu Stoica, Manos Athanassoulis, and Anastasia Ailamaki: Aether: A scalable approach to logging. International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment, Vol. 3, Nr. 1, 2010.
Cloud Data Management
- Verena Kantere, Debabrata Dash, Georgios Gratsias, Anastasia Ailamaki. Predicting cost amortization for query services. Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD Conference on Management of Data, Athens Greece, June 2011.
- Adrian Popescu, Debabrata Dash, Verena Kantere, and Anastasia Ailamaki. Adaptive Query Execution for Data Management in the Cloud. Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Cloud Data Management (CloudDB), October 2010.
- Debabrata Dash, Verena Kantere, and Anastasia Ailamaki: An Economic Model for Self-tuned Cloud Caching. Proceedings of the 2009 IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), pages 1687-1693, Sanghai, China, 2009.
Ippokratis Pandis, Pinar Tozun, Miguel Branco, Dimitris Karampinas, Danica Porobic, Ryan Johnson, Anastasia Ailamaki. A Data-oriented Transaction Execution Engine and Supporting Tools. Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD Conference on Management of Data, Athens Greece, June 2011 (best demonstration award).
Kun Gao, Stavros Harizopoulos, Ippokratis Pandis, Vladislav Shkapenuyk, and Anastasia Ailamaki. Simultaneous Pipelining in QPipe: Exploiting Work Sharing Opportunities Across Queries, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering, Atlanta, Georgia, April 2006 (best demonstration award).
Steven W. Schlosser, Jiri Schindler, Stratos Papadomanolakis, Minglong Shao, Anastasia Ailamaki, Christos Faloutsos, and Gregory R. Ganger. On multidimensional data and modern disks, Proceedings of the Fourth USENIX Conference on File and Storage (FAST), San Francisco, California, December 2005 (best paper award).
Shimin Chen, Anastasia Ailamaki, Philip B. Gibbons, and Todd C. Mowry. Improving Hash Join Performance Through Prefetching, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering, Boston, MA, March 2004 (best paper award).
Jiri Schindler, Anastasia Ailamaki, and Gregory R. Ganger. Matching Database Access Patterns to Storage Characteristics, Proceedings of the VLDB PhD Workshop, Berlin, Germany, 2003 (best paper award).
Mengzhi Wang, Anastasia Ailamaki, and Christos Faloutsos. Capturing the Spatio-Temporal Behavior of Real Traffic Data, in proceedings of the 22nd edition of the IFIP WG 7.3 International Symposium on Computer Modeling, Measurement and Evaluation (Performance), Roma, Italy, September 2002 (best student paper award).
Anastasia Ailamaki, David J. DeWitt, Mark D. Hill, and Marios Skounakis. Weaving Relations for Cache Performance. Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Very Large Databases (VLDB), Roma, Italy, September 2001 (best paper award).
Anastasia AilamakiProfessor and Lab Director
Fields of Expertise
- Database management systems, scientific applications, computer architecture
- Erika Raetz
- Building BC 222
- Station 14
- CH-1015 Lausanne
- Tel. + 41 21 693 26 56