My goal is to understand synaptic mechanisms of sensory perception and associative learning.
2003 Assistant Professor. Head of the Laboratory of Sensory Processing, Brain Mind Institute, EPFL, Switzerland.
1999 Research Scientist. Advisor Prof. Bert Sakmann, Department of Cell Physiology, Max-Planck-Institute for Medical Research, Heidelberg, Germany.
1996 Post Doctoral Research Fellow. Advisor Prof. Roger Nicoll, Department of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA.
1992 Doctoral Student. Advisor Prof. Sir Michael Berridge, The Babraham Institute, Department of Zoology, Cambridge University, England, UK.
1991 Research Assistant. Advisor Prof. Yasunobo Okada, Department of Physiology, Kyoto University, Japan.
1990 Research Assistant. Advisor Prof. Ole Petersen, The Physiological Laboratory, University of Liverpool, England, UK.
30. Ferezou I, Haiss F, Gentet LJ, Aronoff R, Weber B, Petersen CCH (2007) Spatiotemporal dynamics of cortical sensorimotor integration in behaving mice. Neuron 56: 907-923.
29. Berger T, Borgdorff AJ, Crochet S, Neubauer FB, Lefort S, Fauvet B, Ferezou I, Carleton A, Luscher HR, Petersen CCH (2007) Combined voltage and calcium epifluorescence imaging in vitro and in vivo reveals subthreshold and suprathreshold dynamics of mouse barrel cortex. J Neurophysiol 97: 3751-3762.
28. Accolla R, Bathellier B, Petersen CCH, Carleton A (2007) Differential spatial representation of taste modalities in the rat gustatory cortex. J Neurosci 27: 1396-1404.
27. Borgdorff AJ, Poulet JFA, Petersen CCH (2007) Facilitating sensory responses in developing mouse somatosensory barrel cortex. J Neurophysiol 97: 2992-3003.
26. Ferezou I, Bolea S, Petersen CCH (2006) Visualizing the cortical representation of whisker touch: voltage-sensitive dye imaging in freely moving mice. Neuron 50: 617-629.
25. Crochet S, Petersen CCH (2006) Correlating whisker behavior with membrane potential in barrel cortex of awake mice. Nat. Neurosci. 9: 608-610.
24. Kvajo M, Albrecht H, Meins M, Hengst U, Troncoso E, Lefort S, Kiss JZ, Petersen CCH, Monard D (2004) Regulation of brain proteolytic activity is necessary for the in vivo function of NMDA receptors. J. Neurosci. 24: 9734-9743.
23. Petersen CCH, Hahn TTG, Mehta M, Grinvald A, Sakmann B (2003) Interaction of sensory responses with spontaneous depolarization in layer 2/3 barrel cortex. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 100: 13638-13643.
22. Petersen CCH, Grinvald A, Sakmann B (2003) Spatiotemporal dynamics of sensory responses in layer 2/3 of rat barrel cortex measured in vivo by voltage-sensitive dye imaging combined with whole-cell voltage recordings and anatomical reconstructions. J. Neurosci. 23: 1298-1309.
21. Petersen CCH (2002) Short-term plasticity within the excitatory neuronal network of layer 4 barrel cortex. J. Neurophysiol. 87: 2904-2914.
20. Petersen CCH, Sakmann B (2001) Functionally independent columns of rat somatosensory barrel cortex revealed with voltage-sensitive dye imaging. J. Neurosci. 21: 8435-8446.
19. Petersen CCH, Sakmann B (2000) The excitatory neuronal network of layer 4 barrel cortex. J. Neurosci. 20: 7579-7586.
18. Zhou Q, Petersen CCH, Nicoll RA (2000) Effects of reduced vesicular filling on synaptic transmission in rat hippocampal neurones. J. Physiol. 525: 195-206.
17. Tian N, Petersen CCH, Kash S, Baekkeskov S, Copenhagen D, Nicoll RA (1999) The role of the synthetic enzyme GAD65 in the control of neuronal gama-aminobutyric acid release. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 96: 12911-12916.
16. Frerking M, Petersen CCH, Nicoll RA (1999) Mechanisms underlying kainate receptor-mediated disinhibition in the hippocampus. Proc. Natl. Acacd. Sci. USA 96: 12917-12922.
15. Bobanovic LK, Laine M, Petersen CCH, Bennett DL, Berridge MJ, Lipp P, Ripley SJ, Bootman MD (1999) Molecular cloning and immunolocalisation of a novel vertebrate trp homologue from Xenopus. Biochem. J. 340: 593-599.
14. Petersen CCH, Malenka RC, Nicoll RA, Hopfield JJ (1998) All-or-none potentiation at CA3-CA1 synapses. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 95: 4732-4737.
13. Petersen CCH, Berridge MJ (1996) Capacitative calcium entry is colocalised with calcium release in Xenopus oocytes: evidence against a highly diffusible calcium influx factor. Pflügers Arch. 432: 286-292.
12. Petersen CCH, Borgese MF, Berridge MJ, Bennett DL (1995) Putative capacitative entry channels: expression of Drosophila trp and evidence for the existence of vertebrate homologs. Biochem. J. 311: 41-44.
11. Petersen CCH, Berridge MJ (1995) G-protein regulation of capacitative calcium entry in Xenopus oocytes may be mediated by protein kinases A and C. Biochem. J. 307: 663-668.
10. Okada Y, Kubo M, Oiki S, Petersen CCH, Tominaga M, Hazama A, Morishima S (1994) Properties of volume-sensitive Cl- channels in a human epithelial cell line. Jpn. J. Physiol. 44: S31-35.
9. Okada Y, Petersen CCH, Kubo M, Morishima S, Tominaga M (1994) Osmotic swelling activates intermediate-conductance Cl- channels in human intestinal epithelial cells. Jpn. J. Physiol. 44: 403-409.
8. Petersen CCH, Kubo M, Morishima S, Tominaga M, Okada Y (1994) Single-channel recordings of volume-sensitive Cl- channels in human intestinal epithelial cells. Jpn. J. Physiol. 44: S73-75.
7. Verjans B, Petersen CCH, Berridge MJ (1994) Overexpression of Ins(1,4,5)P3 3-kinase in Xenopus oocytes inhibits agonist-evoked capacitative calcium entry. Biochem. J. 304: 679-682.
6. Petersen CCH, Berridge MJ (1994) Regulation of capacitative calcium entry in Xenopus oocytes by calcium and PKC. J. Biol. Chem. 269: 32246-32253.
5. Petersen CCH, Dupont G (1994) The initiation of a calcium signal in Xenopus oocytes. Cell Calcium 16: 391-403.
4. Petersen CCH, Petersen OH, Berridge MJ (1993) The role of endoplasmic reticulum calcium pumps during cytosolic calcium spiking in pancreatic acinar cells. J. Biol. Chem. 268: 22262-22264.
3. Petersen CCH, Toescu EC, Potter BVL, Petersen OH (1991) Inositol trisphosphate produces different patterns of cytoplasmic Ca2+ spiking depending on its concentration. FEBS Letts. 293: 179-182.
2. Petersen CCH, Petersen OH (1991) Receptor-activated Ca2+ spikes in communicating clusters of pancreatic acinar cells. FEBS Letts. 284: 113-116.
1. Petersen CCH, Toescu EC, Petersen OH (1991) Different patterns of receptor-activated cytoplasmic Ca2+ oscillations in single pancreatic acinar cells: dependence on receptor type, agonist concentration and intracellular Ca2+ buffering. EMBO J. 10: 527-533.
Invited review articles in peer reviewed journals:
9R. Petersen CCH (2007) The functional organization of the barrel cortex. Neuron 56: 339-355.
8R. Aronoff R, Petersen CCH (2006) Controlled and localized genetic manipulation in the brain. J Cell Mol Med 10: 333-352.
7R. Petersen CCH (2005) Evoking spontaneous activity. Neuron 48: 710-711.
6R. Petersen CCH (2003) The barrel cortex - integrating molecular, cellular and systems physiology. Pflügers Arch. 447: 126-134.
5R. Petersen CCH (1996) Store operated calcium entry. Seminars in the Neurosciences 8: 293-300.
4R. Bennett DL, Petersen CCH, Cheek TR (1995) Cracking ICRAC in the eye. Curr. Biol. 5: 1225-1228.
3R. Petersen OH, Petersen CCH, Kasai H (1994) Calcium and hormone action. Annu. Rev. Physiol. 56: 297-319.
2R. Petersen OH, Thorn P, Toescu EC, Lawrie A M, Smith P, Petersen CCH, Tepikin AV, Gallacher DV (1993) Local and global cytosolic Ca2+ oscillations evoked by agonists and inositol trisphosphate. Biomedical Research 14: 43-46.
1R. Petersen OH, Gallacher DV, Wakui M, Yule DI, Petersen CCH, Toescu EC (1991) Receptor-activated cytoplasmic Ca2+ oscillations in pancreatic acinar cells: generation and spreading of Ca2+ signals. Cell Calcium 12: 135-144.
4B. Petersen CCH (2007) Higher Nervous Functions. Chapter 9 in Lecture Notes on Human Physiology. Edited by Ole Petersen. Published by Blackwell.
3B. Petersen CCH (2007) Sensory Systems. Chapter 6 in Lecture Notes on Human Physiology. Edited by Ole Petersen. Published by Blackwell.
2B. Petersen CCH (2006) Advances in understanding cortical function through combined voltage-sensitive dye imaging, whole-cell recordings and analysis of cellular morphology. Chapter 14 in Neuroanatomical Tract-Tracing 3: molecular, neurons, and systems. Edited by Laszlo Zaborszky. Floris Wouterlood and Jose Lanciego. Published by Springer.
1B. Petersen CCH (2005) A practical guide: whole-cell recording and voltage-sensitive dye imaging in vivo. Chapter 91 in Imaging in neuroscience and development: a laboratory manual. Edited by Rafael Yuste and Arthur Konnerth. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press.