Cristina Ramona Cudalbu
Field of Expertise
- In vivo proton, phosphorus, carbon and nitrogen MR Spectroscopy
- Chronic Hepatic Encephalopathy, Hyperammonemia - https://actu.epfl.ch/news/when-liver-disease-affects-the-brain/
- Brain metabolites quantification and macromolecules
- In vivo proton Spectroscopic Imaging
- Diffusion weighted Spectroscopy
- Brain tumors
- Dynamic nuclear polarization
Senior Research Staff Scientist and 9.4T MRI Operational Manager
Centre d’Imagerie Biomedicale (CIBM), Animal Imaging and Technology (AIT) section
Laboratory for Functional and Metabolic Imaging (LIFMET)
RMN Laboratory MIB
University Claude-Bernard Lyon 1, France
Master of Science
Biophysics and Medical Physics
University Babes-Bolyai, Cluj Napoca, Romania
- Implement new acquisition techniques for fast spectroscopic imaging and diffusion spectroscopy
- Implement new techniques for brain macromolecules quantification
- Chronic liver failure/chronic hepatic encephalopathy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYkzgkbJGiY
- mechanistic understanding of chronological event involved in chronic hepatic encephalopathy and targeted treatments using a multi-modal approach
- Brain tumors
- Creatine deficiencies, etc
- 2019-2021 - Co-applicant in the Innosuisse - Suisse Innovation Agency application "Pearl injectable implants, a solution for the reconstruction of ultra-large volumes of soft tissues post-injury"
- 2018-2022 - Vice-coordinator in the H2020-MSCA-ITN-2018 application " INtegrating Magnetic Resonance SPectroscopy and Multimodal Imaging for Research and Education in MEDicine" (INSPiRE-MED, 813120)
- 2017-2021: Swiss National Science Foundation; grant n° 31003A-175778/1 to Braissant&Cudalbu. “Cerebral creatine deficiency syndromes: New in vivo AAV approaches to treat SLC6A8 deficiency.”
- 2017-2021: Swiss National Science Foundation; grant n° 310030_173222/1 to Cudalbu&Braissant&McLin. “Translational Non-Invasive Metabolic Studies towards Novel Treatments of Chronic Hepatic Encephalopathy in Developing Brain, from 3D Organotypic Brain Cell Cultures to the In vivo Rat and Human Brain.”
- 2017-2018: Co-applicant in the Swiss Cancer League application “Characterizing invasiveness of patient derived brain tumor transplants in mice by gene expression profiling in association with metabolite profiles obtained by magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS). A pilot project”, (PI Monika Hegi)
- 2014-2016: Co-applicant in the Swiss Bridge Foundation application "Towards patient-specific treatments in glioblastoma: Comparison and validation of high-resolution imaging and molecular profiles of human glioblastoma and respective paired orthotopic xenografts in the mouse" (PI Andreas Hottinger)
- 2014: PI for the Industrial grant VSL Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- 2013-2017: Co-applicant in FP7-PEOPLE Marie Curie Initial Training Network project "Transforming Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy into a Clinical Tool" (TRANSACT)
Teaching & PhD
Additional Teaching Activities
ORGANISATION OF SCIENTIFIC MEETINGS
Additional Supervised Thesis
- Master Thesis of André Rocha Morais, Universidade Nova de Lisboa (Portugal) and EPFL, 2013
- Master Thesis of Ana da Silva Santos, University of Coimbra, (Portugal) and EPFL, 2013
- PhD thesis of Marta Lei, EPFL, 2011- 2017, “In vivo cerebral metabolism of glioblastoma xenografts assessed with 1H MRS, 13C MRS and 18F-FDG PET”
- PhD thesis of Melanie Craveiro, EPFL, 2009-2013, "Development and implementation of 1H magnetic resonance techniques for an improved in vivo assessment of cerebral metabolic disorders"
- Master Thesis of Arjun Jayaswal - Imperial College, London, UK, EPFL, 2012-2013, "Brain metabolism and brain edema in a rat model of chronic liver disease: in vivo longitudinal 1H MRS, 31P MRS, Water mapping and Diffusion Tensor Imaging studies at 9.4T"
- Master Thesis of Hend Koubaji, EPFL, 2012-2013, "Brain metabolism and brain edema in chronic liver failure during brain development measured using 1H Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy and Diffusion Tensor Imaging"
- Master Thesis of Eleanor Berry, Imperial College (London, UK) and EPFL, 2010-2011, "MR Imaging and MR Spectroscopy in preclinical models of Parkinson disease: application to the Haloperidol model", winner of "The Gloucester Research Prize for Academic Excellence in Physics", 2010-2011
- Master Thesis of Sharon Janssens, University of Ghent and EPFL, 2010, "Creatine kinase reaction rates in rat brain measured by localized phosphorus saturation transfer spectroscopy"
- Master Thesis of Melanie Craveiro, EPFL, 2009, "Short-echo-time 1H MRS of ischemic evolution in mice lacking PPAR beta at 14.1T"
- TP-IV Project of Melanie Craveiro, EPFL, 2008: "Methodological aspects of 15N-1H-NMR in vitro and in vivo"
- TP-IV Project of Melanie Craveiro, EPFL, 2008, "Short-echo-time 1H MRS of mice lacking PPAR beta at 14.1T"