Jan S. Hesthaven
Vice President for Academic Affairs
email@example.com +41 21 693 03 51 https://www.epfl.ch/labs/mcss/
EPFL SB MATH MCSS
MA C2 652 (Bâtiment MA)
+41 21 693 03 51
+41 21 693 58 42
Office: MA C2 652
EPFL > SB > MATH > MCSS
Web site: Web site: https://mcss.epfl.ch/
Fields of expertise
While the emphasis in on the development and analysis of new methods and algorithms, the research is application driven and we generally maintain a strong focus on tying the theoretical developments to real applications, ranging from electromagnetics and plasma physics to geoscience and combustion. There is also a sustained interest in the development of methods and algorithms for parallel computing, GPU accelerated computing and the development of resilient algorithms, to support the development and use of large scale computational tool to enable predictive similation science.
BiographyProf. Hesthaven received an M.Sc. in computational physics from the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) in August 1991. During the studies, the last 6 months of 1989 was spend at JET, the european fusion laboratory in Culham, UK. Following graduation, he was awarded a 3 year fellowship to begin work towards a Ph.D. at Riso National Laboratory in the Department of Optics and Fluid Dynamics.
During the 3 years of study, the academic year of 1993-1994 was spend in the Division of Applied Mathematics at Brown University and three 3 months during the summer of 1994 in Department of Mathematics and Statistics at University of New Mexico. In August 1995, he recieved a Ph.D. in Numerical Analysis from the Institute of Mathematical Modelling (DTU).
Following graduation in August 1995, he was awarded an NSF Postdoctoral Fellowship in Advanced Scientific Computing and was approinted Visiting Assistant Professor in the Division of Applied Mathematics at Brown University. In December of 1996, he was appointed consultant to the Institute of Computer Applications in Science and Engineering(ICASE) at NASA Langley Research Center (NASA LaRC).
As of July 1999, he was appointed Assistant Professor of Applied Mathematics, in September 2000 he was awarded an Alfred P. Sloan Fellowship, as of July 2001 he was awarded a Manning Assistant Professorship, and in March 2002, he was awarded an NSF Career Award.
In January 2003, he was promoted to Associate Professor of Applied Mathematics with tenure and in May 2004 he was awarded Philip J. Bray Award for Excellence in Teaching in the Sciences (the highest award given for teaching excellence in all sciences at Brown University).
He was promoted to Professor of Applied Mathematics as of July 2005.
From October 2006 to June 2013, he was the Founding Director of the Center for Computation and Visualization (CCV) at Brown University.
As of October 2007, he holds the (honorary) title of Professor (Adjunct) at the Technical University of Denmark.
In November 2009, he successfully defended his dr.techn thesis at the Technical University of Denmark and was rewarded the degree of Doctor Technices -- the highest academic distinction awarded based on ... substantial and lasting contributions that has helped to move the research area forward and penetrated into applications.
As grant Co-PI he served from Aug 2010 to June 2013 as Deputy Director of the Institute of Computational and Experimental Research in Mathematics (ICERM), the newest NSF Mathematical Sciences Research Institute.
After having spend his entire academic career at Brown University, Prof Hesthaven decided to pursue new challenges and joined the Mathematics Institute of Computational Science and Engineering (MATHICSE) at Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) in Switzerland in July 2013.
In March 2014 he was elected SIAM Fellow for contributions to high-order methods for partial differential equations.
Master of Science
Technical University of Denmark
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
Technical University of Denmark
Doctor Technices (dr.techn)
Technical University of Denmark
NSF Postdoctoral Fellowship
US National Science Foundation
Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellowship
Alfred P Sloan Foundation, US
Manning Assistant Professorship
Brown University, US
NSF Career Award
US National Science Foundation
Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics, US
American Mathematical Society
Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters
* An artificial neural network approach to bifurcating phenomena in computational fluid dynamicsComputers & Fluids. 2023-02-08. DOI : 10.1016/j.compfluid.2023.105813.
* Model order reduction for compressible flows solved using the discontinuous Galerkin methodsJournal Of Computational Physics. 2022-11-01. DOI : 10.1016/j.jcp.2022.111452.
* A data-driven shock capturing approach for discontinuous Galekin methodsComputers & Fluids. 2022-09-15. DOI : 10.1016/j.compfluid.2022.105592.
* Fourier Collocation and Reduced Basis Methods for Fast Modeling of Compressible FlowsCommunications In Computational Physics. 2022-09-01. DOI : 10.4208/cicp.OA-2021-0180.
* Reduced basis methods for numerical room acoustic simulations with parametrized boundariesJournal Of The Acoustical Society Of America. 2022-08-01. DOI : 10.1121/10.0012696.
* Discovery of Slow Variables in a Class Of Multiscale Stochastic Systems Via Neural NetworksJournal of Nonlinear Science. 2022-08-01. DOI : 10.1007/s00332-022-09808-7.
* Preface to the Focused Issue on WENO SchemesCommunications On Applied Mathematics And Computation. 2022-05-13. DOI : 10.1007/s42967-022-00196-z.
* Rank-adaptive structure-preserving model order reduction of Hamiltonian systemsEsaim-Mathematical Modelling And Numerical Analysis. 2022-03-08. DOI : 10.1051/m2an/2022013.
* Multi-fidelity regression using artificial neural networks: Efficient approximation of parameter-dependent output quantitiesComputer Methods In Applied Mechanics And Engineering. 2022-02-01. DOI : 10.1016/j.cma.2021.114378.
* A hierarchical preconditioner for wave problems in quasilinear complexitySIAM Journal on Scientific Computing. 2022-01-27. DOI : 10.1137/20M1365958.
* Population pharmacokinetic model selection assisted by machine learningJournal Of Pharmacokinetics And Pharmacodynamics. 2022. DOI : 10.1007/s10928-021-09793-6.
* Preface to Focused Issue on Discontinuous Galerkin Methods PREFACECommunications On Applied Mathematics And Computation. 2022. DOI : 10.1007/s42967-021-00170-1.
* Physics-informed machine learning for reduced-order modeling of nonlinear problemsJournal of Computational Physics. 2021-08-27. DOI : 10.1016/j.jcp.2021.110666.
* Structure-Preserving Reduced Basis Methods For Poisson SystemsMathematics Of Computation. 2021-07-01. DOI : 10.1090/mcom/3618.
* Non-Intrusive Reduced Order Modeling of Convection Dominated Flows Using Artificial Neural Networks with Application to Rayleigh-Taylor InstabilityCommunications In Computational Physics. 2021-07-01. DOI : 10.4208/cicp.OA-2020-0064.
* Pointwise error estimate in difference setting for the two-dimensional nonlinear fractional complex Ginzburg-Landau equationAdvances In Computational Mathematics. 2021-06-01. DOI : 10.1007/s10444-021-09862-x.
* Fast screening of covariates in population models empowered by machine learningJournal Of Pharmacokinetics And Pharmacodynamics. 2021-05-21. DOI : 10.1007/s10928-021-09757-w.
* Modeling synchronization in globally coupled oscillatory systems using model order reductionChaos. 2021-05-01. DOI : 10.1063/5.0031142.
* Controlling oscillations in spectral methods by local artificial viscosity governed by neural networksJournal Of Computational Physics. 2021-04-15. DOI : 10.1016/j.jcp.2021.110144.
* A phenomenological extended-reaction boundary model for time-domain wave-based acoustic simulations under sparse reflection conditions using a wave splitting methodApplied Acoustics. 2021-01-15. DOI : 10.1016/j.apacoust.2020.107596.
* Hybrid high-resolution RBF-ENO methodJournal of Computational Physics: X. 2021. DOI : 10.1016/j.jcpx.2021.100089.
* A Local Discontinuous Galerkin Method for Two-Dimensional Time Fractional Diffusion EquationsCommunications On Applied Mathematics And Computation. 2020-12-01. DOI : 10.1007/s42967-020-00065-7.
* Characterization of image spaces of Riemann-Liouville fractional integral operators on Sobolev spaces W-m,W-p (omega)Science China-Mathematics. 2020-11-18. DOI : 10.1007/s11425-019-1720-1.
* Time-domain room acoustic simulations with extended-reacting porous absorbers using the discontinuous Galerkin methodJournal Of The Acoustical Society Of America. 2020-11-01. DOI : 10.1121/10.0002448.
* Massive parallel nodal discontinuous Galerkin finite element method simulator for room acousticsInternational Journal of High Performance Computing Applications. 2020-09-06.
* Apparent diffusion coefficient measured by diffusion MRI of moving and deforming domainsJournal Of Magnetic Resonance. 2020-09-01. DOI : 10.1016/j.jmr.2020.106809.
* Systematic sensor placement for structural anomaly detection in the absence of damaged statesComputer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering. 2020-08-18. DOI : 10.1016/j.cma.2020.113315.
* Conservative Model Order Reduction for Fluid FlowQuantification of Uncertainty: Improving Efficiency and Technology; Cham: Springer, 2020-07-31. p. 282.
* Physics-informed machine learning for reduced-order modeling of nonlinear problems2020-07-23.
* Rare event simulation for large-scale structures with local nonlinearitiesComputer Methods In Applied Mechanics And Engineering. 2020-07-01. DOI : 10.1016/j.cma.2020.113051.
* An edge detector based on artificial neural network with application to hybrid Compact-WENO finite difference schemesJournal Of Scientific Computing. 2020-06-03. DOI : 10.1007/s10915-020-01237-6.
* A non-intrusive multifidelity method for the reduced order modeling of nonlinear problemsComputer Methods In Applied Mechanics And Engineering. 2020-06-01. DOI : 10.1016/j.cma.2020.112947.
* Constraint-aware neural networks for Riemann problemsJournal Of Computational Physics. 2020-05-15. DOI : 10.1016/j.jcp.2020.109345.
* Controlling oscillations in high-order Discontinuous Galerkin schemes using artificial viscosity tuned by neural networksJournal Of Computational Physics. 2020-05-15. DOI : 10.1016/j.jcp.2020.109304.
* Simulation-based Anomaly Detection and Damage Localization: An application to Structural Health MonitoringComputer Methods In Applied Mechanics And Engineering. 2020-05-01. DOI : 10.1016/j.cma.2020.112896.
* A Study of Several Artificial Viscosity Models within the Discontinuous Galerkin FrameworkCommunications In Computational Physics. 2020-05-01. DOI : 10.4208/cicp.OA-2019-0118.
* Two-Dimensional RBF-ENO Method on Unstructured GridsJournal Of Scientific Computing. 2020-03-11. DOI : 10.1007/s10915-020-01176-2.
* A Homotopy Method with Adaptive Basis Selection for Computing Multiple Solutions of Differential EquationsJournal Of Scientific Computing. 2020-01-13. DOI : 10.1007/s10915-020-01123-1.
* Effective diffusion tensor measured by diffusion MRI of moving and deforming domainsJournal of Magnetic Resonance. 2020.
* Waves at a fluid-solid interface: Explicit versus implicit formulation of boundary conditions using a discontinuous Galerkin methodThe Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. 2020. DOI : 10.1121/10.0001170.
* Recurrent neural network closure of parametric POD-Galerkin reduced-order models based on the Mori-Zwanzig formalismJournal of Computational Physics. 2020. DOI : 10.1016/j.jcp.2020.109402.
* Modeling extended-reaction boundary conditions in time-domain wave-based simulations of room acoustics2019-10-31.
* Model order reduction for large-scale structures with local nonlinearitiesComputer Methods In Applied Mechanics and Engineering. 2019-08-15. DOI : 10.1016/j.cma.2019.04.042.
* A comparative study of earthquake source models in high- order accurate tsunami simulationsOcean Modelling. 2019-08-14. DOI : 10.1016/j.ocemod.2019.101429.
* Time domain room acoustic simulations using the spectral element methodJournal Of The Acoustical Society Of America. 2019-06-01. DOI : 10.1121/1.5109396.
* Entropy stable essentially non-oscillatory methods based on RBF reconstructionsMathematical Modeling and Numerical Analysis. 2019. DOI : 10.1051/m2an/2019011.
* A nodal discontinuous Galerkin finite element method for the poroelastic wave equationComputational Geoscience. 2019. DOI : 10.1007/s10596-019-9809-1.
* Estimation of groundwater storage from seismic data using deep learningGeophysics Research Letters. 2019. DOI : 10.1111/1365-2478.12831.
* Discontinuous Galerkin Discretizations of the Boltzmann Equations in 2D: semi-analytic time stepping and absorbing boundary layersJournal of Computational Physics. 2019. DOI : 10.1016/j.jcp.2019.03.050.
* Structure-Preserving Model-Reduction of Dissipative Hamiltonian SystemsJournal of Scientific Computing. 2019. DOI : 10.1007/s10915-018-0653-6.
* Projective multiscale time-integration for electrostatic particle-in-cell methodsComputer Physics Communications. 2019. DOI : 10.1016/j.cpc.2018.10.012.
* Detecting troubled-cells on two-dimensional unstructured grids using a neural networkJournal of Computational Physics. 2018-11-01. DOI : 10.1016/j.jcp.2019.07.043.
* Data-driven reduced order modeling for time-dependent problemsComputer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering. 2018-10-01. DOI : 10.1016/j.cma.2018.10.029.
* Greedy Non-Intrusive Reduced Order Model for Fluid DynamicsAIAA Journal. 2018-06-24. DOI : 10.2514/1.J056161.
* Non-intrusive reduced order modeling of unsteady flows using artificial neural networks with application to a combustion problemJournal of Computational Physics. 2018-06-18. DOI : 10.1016/j.jcp.2019.01.031.
* POD-Kriging reduced method’s application in Tandem Cylinders’ flowJournal of Northwestern Polytechnical University. 2018-06-01. DOI : 10.1051/jnwpu/20183620220.
* Structure-Preserving Reduced Basis Methods for Hamiltonian Systems with a State-dependent Poisson StructureMathematics of computation. 2018.
* Symplectic Model-Reduction with a Weighted Inner ProductSIAM Journal of Scientific Computing. 2018.
* Flowfield Reconstruction Method Using Artificial Neural NetworkAIAA Journal. 2018. DOI : 10.2514/1.J057108.
* Reduced order modeling for nonlinear structural analysis using Gaussian process regressionComputer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering. 2018. DOI : 10.1016/j.cma.2018.07.017.
* Discontinuous Galerkin scheme for the spherical shallow water equations with applications to tsunami modeling and predictionJournal of Computational Physics. 2018. DOI : 10.1016/j.jcp.2018.02.008.
* An artificial neural network as a troubled-cell indicatorJournal of computational physics. 2018. DOI : 10.1016/j.jcp.2018.04.029.
* Non-intrusive reduced order modeling of nonlinear problems using neural networksJournal of Computational Physics. 2018. DOI : 10.1016/j.jcp.2018.02.037.
* Deep convolutional neural networks for estimating porous material parameters with ultrasound tomographyJournal of the Acoustical Society of America. 2018. DOI : 10.1121/1.5024341.
* Research and Education in Computational Science and EngineeringSiam Review. 2018. DOI : 10.1137/16M1096840.
* Numerical methods for conservation laws: From analysis to algorithmsPhiladelphia: SIAM Publishing.
* A comparative study of shock capturing models for the discontinuous Galerkin methodJournal of Computational Physics. 2017.
* Efficient Preconditioning of hp-FEM Matrices by Hierarchical Low-Rank ApproximationsJournal Of Scientific Computing. 2017. DOI : 10.1007/s10915-016-0347-x.
* Communication-aware adaptive parareal with application to a nonlinear hyperbolic system of partial dierential equationsJournal of Computational Physics. 2017. DOI : 10.1016/j.jcp.2018.04.056.
* A greedy non-intrusive reduced order model for fluid dynamicsJournal of Northwestern Polytechnical University. 2017.
* High-Order Accurate Local Schemes for Fractional Differential EquationsJournal Of Scientific Computing. 2017. DOI : 10.1007/s10915-015-0089-1.
* Identification of a Predator-Prey System from Simulation Data of a Convection ModelPhysics of Plasmas. 2017. DOI : 10.1063/1.4977057.
* Efficient preconditioning of hp-FEM matrices arising from time-varying problems: an application to topology optimizationComputer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering. 2017. DOI : 10.1016/j.cma.2017.04.027.
* Adaptive WENO methods based on radial basis functions reconstructionJournal of Scientific Computing. 2017. DOI : 10.1007/s10915-017-0383-1.
* High-Order Accurate Adaptive Kernel Compression Time-Stepping Schemes for Fractional Differential EquationsJournal of Scientific Computing. 2017. DOI : 10.1007/s10915-017-0393-z.
* Structure preserving model reduction of parametric Hamiltonian systemsSiam Journal on Scientific Computing. 2017. DOI : 10.1137/17M1111991.
* Space-dependent source determination in a time-fractional diffusion equation using a local discontinuous Galerkin methodBIT Numerical Mathematics. 2017. DOI : 10.1007/s10543-017-0648-y.
* A kernel compression scheme for fractional differential equationsSiam Journal on Numerical Analysis. 2017. DOI : 10.1137/15M1043960.
* Spectral Methods for Hyperbolic ProblemsHandbook of Numerical Methods for Hyperbolic Problems Basic and Fundamental Issues; Elsevier Publishing, 2016. p. 441-466.
* Spectral methods for tempered fractional differential equationsMathematics of Computation. 2016.
* On the use of ANOVA expansions in reduced basis methods for high-dimensional parametric partial differential equationsJournal of Scientific Computing. 2016. DOI : 10.1007/s10915-016-0194-9.
* Certified Reduced Basis Methods for Parametrized Partial Differential EquationsSpringer Verlag.
* Hyperbolic Problems: Theory and ComputationJournal Of Scientific Computing. 2015. DOI : 10.1007/s10915-015-0065-9.
* An Adjoint Approach for Stabilizing the Parareal MethodComptes rendus des séances de l'Académie des Sciences. Série A, Sciences mathématiques**. 2015.
* Special Issue on "Fractional PDEs: Theory, Numerics, and Applications"Journal Of Computational Physics. 2015. DOI : 10.1016/j.jcp.2015.04.007.
* Accuracy of high order and spectral methods for hyperbolic conservation laws with discontinuous solutionsSiam Journal on Numerical Analysis. 2015. DOI : 10.1137/140992758.
* Nodal discontinuous Galerkin methods for fractional diffusion equations on 2D domain with triangular meshesJournal of Computational Physics. 2015. DOI : 10.1016/j.jcp.2015.06.022.
* Numerical approximation of the fractional Laplacian via hp-finite elements, with an application to image denoisingJournal of Scientific Computing. 2015. DOI : 10.1007/s10915-014-9959-1.
* A Parareal Method for Time-fractional Differential EquationsJournal of Computational Physics. 2015. DOI : 10.1016/j.jcp.2014.11.034.
* Local discontinuous Galerkin methods for fractional ordinary differential equationsBit Numerical Mathematics. 2015. DOI : 10.1007/s10543-014-0531-z.
* Modeling 3D Magma Dynamics Using a Discontinuous Galerkin MethodCommunications in Computational Physics. 2015. DOI : 10.4208/cicp.090314.151214a.
* Multilevel and Local Timestepping Discontinuous Galerkin Methods for Magma DynamicsComputational Geosciences. 2015. DOI : 10.1007/s10596-015-9514-7.
* Reduced basis multiscale finite element methods for elliptic problemsMultiscale Modeling and Simulation. 2015. DOI : 10.1137/140955070.
* A Multi-domain Spectral Method for Time-fractional Differential EquationsJournal of Computational Physics. 2015. DOI : 10.1016/j.jcp.2014.10.016.
* Analysis and application of the nodal discontinuous Galerkin method for wave propagation in metamaterialsJournal Of Computational Physics. 2014. DOI : 10.1016/j.jcp.2013.11.018.
* Discontinuous Galerkin method for fractional convection-diffusion equationsSiam Journal on Numerical Analysis. 2014. DOI : 10.1137/130918174.
* High-order multiscale finite element method for elliptic problemsMultiscale Modeling and Simulation. 2014. DOI : 10.1137/120898024.
* Efficient greedy algorithms for high-dimensional parameter spaces with applications to empirical interpolation and reduced basis methodsMathematical Modelling and Numerical Analysis. 2014. DOI : 10.1051/m2an/2013100.
Teaching & PhD