Fields of expertise
2019: NSDI, SIGCOMM (TPC co-chair with John Heidemann)
2016: NSDI (TPC co-chair with Rebecca Isaacs), SIGCOMM (heavy PC)
2015: NSDI, SIGCOMM, HotNets
2014: NSDI, SIGCOMM (light PC)
2013: NSDI, SIGCOMM, IMC, INFOCOM, EuroSys (heavy PC)
2012: HotNets, HotSDN, INFOCOM, OSDI (external review committee), USENIX Annual Tech, COMSNETS
2011: NSDI, SIGCOMM, IMC, INFOCOM, HotOS,
2010: USENIX Annual Tech, SIGMETRICS, PRESTO, MIDDLEWARE, ICDCS
2009: SIGCOMM Poster Session, Global Internet, ACDC
- Can we infer network behavior from external observations? We proved the feasibility of network neutrality inference [ paper ]. Earlier, we relaxed the assumption of link independence in network performance inference [ paper ].
- Can we improve Internet transparency? We showed how Internet service providers can produce verifiable traffic receipts—report their own performance in a way that prevents them from lying [ paper ].
- Is Internet transparency compatible with user privacy? We started exploring the trade-off between Internet transparency and Tor anonymity [ paper ].
- How should we write packet-processing software, such that we can reason about its semantics? We presented the first formally verified NAT written in C [ project page, paper ] and the first framework for verifying network functions with no verification expertise [ project page, paper ].
- How should we write packet-processing software, such that we can reason about its performance? We proposed the idea of performance contracts and showed how to compute such contracts for packet-processing functions [ project page, paper ].
Selected Conference Papers
Verifying Software Network Functions with No Verification Expertise, Arseniy Zaostrovnykh, Solal Pirelli, Rishabh Iyer, Matteo Rizzo, Luis Pedrosa, Katerina Argyraki, and George Candea. In the ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP), October 2019.
Retroactive Packet Sampling for Traffic Receipts, Pavlos Nikolopoulos, Christos Pappas, Katerina Argyraki, and Adrian Perrig. In the ACM SIGMETRICS Conference, June 2019.
Performance Contracts for Software Network Functions, Rishabh Iyer, Luis Pedrosa, Arseniy Zaostrovnykh, Solal Pirelli, Katerina Argyraki, and George Candea. In the USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI), March 2019.
A Formally Verified NAT, Arseniy Zaostrovnykh, Solal Pirelli, Luis Pedrosa, Katerina Argyraki, and George Candea. In the ACM SIGCOMM Conference, August 2017.
Network Neutrality Inference, Zhiyong Zhang, Ovidiu Mara, and Katerina Argyraki. In the ACM SIGCOMM Conference, August 2014.
Software Dataplane Verification, Mihai Dobrescu and Katerina Argyraki. In the USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI), April 2014 (Best Paper Award). Also in Communications of the ACM (CACM), Research Highlights, 58(11):113-121, November 2015. NSDI version, CACM version.
Network Tomography on Correlated Links, Denisa Ghita, Katerina Argyraki, and Patrick Thiran. In the ACM Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), November 2010.
RouteBricks: Exploiting Parallelism to Scale Software Routers [slides] [audio] [video], Mihai Dobrescu and Norbert Egi, Katerina Argyraki, Byung-Gon Chun, Kevin Fall, Gianluca Iannaccone, Allan Knies, Maziar Manesh, and Sylvia Ratnasamy. In the ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP), October 2009 (Best Paper Award).
Selected Workshop Papers
Matryoshka: Hiding Secret Communication in Plain Sight, Iris Safaka, Christina Fragouli, and Katerina Argyraki. In the USENIX Workshop on Free and Open Communications on the Internet (FOCI), August 2016.
Teaching & PhD