Fields of expertise
Applied Machine Learning and Big Data analytics for the built environment and renewable energy, Urban and building physics simulation, Statistical methods, Geographic Information System
BiographyRoberto holds an M.Sc. and a Ph.D. in Particle Physics from the University of Torino, Italy. He worked as Research Fellow for the Belgian National Fund for Scientific Research (FNRS) and later at the CERN Experimental Physics division as a Senior Research Fellow and Data Scientist.In 2018 he joined the EPFL Solar Energy and Building Physics Laboratory (LESO-PB) as a Senior Scientist and group leader to work on data mining and Machine Learning for the built environment and renewable energy. He has started and led multiple collaborations with academic and industrial partners in the energy domain. He is member of the Geneva 2030 Ecosystem, a network of actors from international organizations, NGOs, academia and private sector, working together towards the realization of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
Roberto joined the Swiss Data Science Center (SDSC) in September 2021 as a Principal Data Scientist with the mission of accompanying industries, NGOs and international organizations through their data science journey.
Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the energy performance of residential neighborhoods and their occupancy behaviorSustainable Cities And Society. 2022-07-01. DOI : 10.1016/j.scs.2022.103896.
Large-scale evaluation of the suitability of buildings for photovoltaic integration: Case study in Greater GenevaApplied Energy. 2022-06-15. DOI : 10.1016/j.apenergy.2022.119127.
Using Machine Learning to estimate the technical potential of shallow ground-source heat pumps with thermal interference2021-01-01. CISBAT 2021 - International Hybrid Conference on Carbon Neutral Cities - Energy Efficiency and Renewables in the Digital Era, Lausanne, SWITZERLAND, Sep 08-10, 2021. p. 012010. DOI : 10.1088/1742-6596/2042/1/012010.
Quantification of existing rooftop PV hourly generation capacity and validation against measurement data2021-01-01. CISBAT 2021 - International Hybrid Conference on Carbon Neutral Cities - Energy Efficiency and Renewables in the Digital Era, Lausanne, Switzerland, Sep 08-10, 2021. p. 012011. DOI : 10.1088/1742-6596/2042/1/012011.
Dimensionality reduction and clustering of time series for anomaly detection in a supermarket heating system2021-01-01. CISBAT 2021 - International Hybrid Conference on Carbon Neutral Cities - Energy Efficiency and Renewables in the Digital Era , Lausanne, Switzerland, Sep 08-10, 2021. p. 012027. DOI : 10.1088/1742-6596/2042/1/012027.
Quantification of the suitable rooftop area for solar panel installation from overhead imagery using Convolutional Neural Networks2021-01-01. CISBAT 2021 - International Hybrid Conference on Carbon Neutral Cities - Energy Efficiency and Renewables in the Digital Era, Lausanne, SWITZERLAND, Sep 08-10, 2021. p. 012002. DOI : 10.1088/1742-6596/2042/1/012002.
A machine learning-assisted building electricity consumption profiling for anomaly detection2020-12-14. International Conference on Applied Energy (ICAE 2020), Virtual Conference, December 1-10, 2020.
Geospatial analysis and optimization of the incoming and stored CO2 emissions within the EPFL campus2019-11-20. CISBAT 2019 | Climate Resilient Cities – Energy Efficiency & Renewables in the Digital Era, Lausanne, Switzerland, 4-6 September 2019. DOI : 10.1088/1742-6596/1343/1/012118.
Deep learning in the built environment: automatic detection of rooftop solar panels using Convolutional Neural Networks2019-11-20. CISBAT 2019 | Climate Resilient Cities – Energy Efficiency & Renewables in the Digital Era, Lausanne, Switzerland, 4–6 September 2019. DOI : 10.1088/1742-6596/1343/1/012034.
Topology classification with deep learning to improve real-time event selection at the LHCComputing and Software for Big Science. 2019-08-31. DOI : 10.1007/s41781-019-0028-1.
Spatio-temporal modelling and uncertainty estimation of hourly global solar irradiance using Extreme Learning Machines2019-03-15. 10 th International Conference on Applied Energy ( ICAE2018), Hong Kong , China, August 22- 25, 2018. p. 6378-6383. DOI : 10.1016/j.egypro.2019.01.219.
- R. Castello and CMS collaborators, Search for new physics in events with two low momentum opposite-sign leptons and missing transverse energy at 13 TeV, Physics Letters B, 2018
- R. Castello and CMS collaborators, Search for narrow resonances in dilepton mass spectra in proton-proton collisions at 13 TeV and combination with 8 TeV data, Physics Letters B, 2017
- R. Castello and CMS collaborators, Search for neutral resonances decaying into a Z boson and a pair of b jets or tau leptons, Physics Letters B, 2016
- R. Castello and CMS collaborators, Alignment of the CMS tracker with LHC and cosmic ray data, Journal of Instrumentation, 2014
- R. Castello and CMS collaborators, Measurement of the production cross sections for a Z boson and one or more b jets in pp collisions at 7 TeV, Journal of High Energy Physics, 2014
- R. Castello and CMS collaborators, Observation of a new boson at a mass of 125 GeV with the CMS experiment at the LHC, Physics Letters B, 2012 - Science Breakthrough of the Year 2012
- R. Castello and CMS collaborators, Performance of CMS muon reconstruction in pp collision events, Journal of Instrumentation, 2012
- R. Castello and CMS collaborators, Alignment of the CMS Silicon Tracker during Commissioning with Cosmic Rays, Journal of Instrumentation, 2010 (PhD thesis work)
Teaching & PhD
- Mr Lorenzo Donadio (EPFL and Eindhoven University of Technology), Temporal hierarchical forecasting of energy consumption in office buildings
- Mr Romain Sibuet (HES-SO Geneva), Optimization of a hybrid solar-geothermal energy system potential at building scale
- Ms Xu Ge (Technical University of Denmark - DTU), Spatio-temporal relationship between land cover and Land Surface Temperature in urban areas
- Ms Dan Chai (EPFL), Automatic detection of rooftop solar installations in the built environment and its validation on the EPFL campus
- Mr Giovanni Mori (University of Bolzano), Geospatial analysis and optimization of the incoming and stored CO2 emissions within the EPFL campus