Dr. Srikanth Ramaswamy is senior scientist in the Blue Brain Project and lecturer in the Brain Mind Institute at the EPFL. He leads efforts in modeling the anatomy and physiology of neuromodulators in regulating neocortical network dynamics in health and disease.
Srikanth graduated from the National Institute of Engineering in Mysore, India with a first class honours degree in Electrical engineering in 2002. In 2003, he was awarded a British Chevening scholarship by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, UK for a master’s in Electrical power engineering at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow, which he completed with commendable mention in 2004. During his master's, he developed a keen interest in neuroscience and won a scholarship by the Fundacíon BBVA in 2005 to work with Profs. Gonzalo de Polavieja and Pablo Varona at the Universidad Autonoma de Madrid to perform single unit recordings and calcium imaging in Leech neurons.
In 2006, he joined the Blue Brain Project at the EPFL as one of its first scientific team members and began working on his Ph.D. thesis under Prof. Dr. Henry Markram’s supervision. The Blue Brain Project is a Swiss flagship initiative to establish a facility for data-driven in silico reconstructions of brain regions.
1. H. Markram*, E. Muller*, S. Ramaswamy*, M.W Reimann*, Abdellah M, Sanchez CA, Ailamaki A, Alonso-Nanclares L, Antille N, Arsever S et al. (2015). Reconstruction and Simulation of Neocortical Microcircuitry. Cell 163:2, 456 - 492. doi: 10.1016/j.cell.2015.09.029 *
* Co-first author. Authors listed alphabetically.
Featured Article on Cell's website - http://www.cell.com/cell/issue?pii=S0092-8674(14)X0046-2
* Also see a commentary on this paper by Christof Koch and Michael A. Buice (2015). Koch, C., and Buice, M.A. (2015). A Biological Imitation Game. Cell 163, 277280.
2. S. Ramaswamy and E. Muller (2015) Cell-type specific modulation of neocortical UP and DOWN states. Front. Cell. Neurosci. 9:370. doi: 10.3389/fncel.2015.00370
3. S. Ramaswamy and H. Markram (2015) Anatomy and Physiology of the Thick-tufted Layer 5 Pyramidal Neuron. Front. Cell. Neurosci. 9:233. doi: 10.3389/fncel.2015.00233
4. S. Ramaswamy, JD Courcol, Abdellah M, Adaszewski S, Antille N, Arsever S, Guy Antoine A, Bilgili A, Brukau Y, Chalimourda A, Chindemi G, Dumusc R, Eilemann S, Graham JW, Hernando JB, Kanari L, Keller D, King JG, Ranjan R, Reimann MW, Roessert C, Telefont M, Geit WV, Villafranca Diaz J, Walker R, Wang Y, Zaninetta S, DeFelipe J, Hill SL, Muller J, Segev I, Schürmann F, EB Muller and H Markram (2015). The Neocortical Microcircuit Collaboration Portal: A Resource for Rat Somatosensory Cortex. Front. Neural Circuits 9:44. doi: 10.3389/fncir.2015.00044
denotes equal contribution
5. M.W Reimann, J.G King, E.B Muller, S. Ramaswamy, and H. Markram H (2015). An Algorithm to Predict the Connectome of Neural Microcircuits. Front. Neural Circuits 9:28. doi: 10.3389/fncir.2015.00028
6. S. Ramaswamy (2015). Exciting times for inhibition: GABAergic synaptic transmission in dentate gyrus interneuron networks. Front. Neural Circuits 9:13. doi: 10.3389/fncir.2015.00013
7. S. Ramaswamy, S. L Hill, J.G King, F. Schürmann, Y. Wang and H. Markram (2012). Intrinsic Morphological Diversity of Thick-tufted Layer 5 Pyramidal Neurons Ensures Robust and Invariant Properties of in silico Synaptic Connections. J. Physiol, 590, 737-752.*
* Listed under Editors Choice
* Also see a commentary on this paper by Giorgio Ascoli (2012). Potential connectomics complements the endeavour of no synapse left behindin the cortex. J. Physiol, 590 (4), 651-652
8. R. Ranjan, G. Khazen, L. Gambazzi, S. Ramaswamy, F. Schürmann, S.L. Hill and H. Markram (2011). Channelpedia an integrative and interactive database for ion channels. Front. Neuroinform. 5:36. doi: 10.3389/fninf.2011.00036.
9. S. Hill, S. Ramaswamy, R. Ranjan, S. Druckman, A. Gidon, J. Bao, I. Riachi, F. Schürmann and H. Markram (2007). The Blue Brain Project: calibrating the neocortical column. BMC Neuroscience, 8(Suppl 2):P110 doi:10.1186/1471-2202-8-S2-P110
10. S. Ramaswamy, F. Baroni, P. Varona and GG. De Polavieja (2007). Time-scales in the interplay between calcium and voltage dynamics. Neurocomputing, 70 (10-12), 1949:1953
1. S. Ramaswamy, M. Reimann, E. Muller, J. King and H. Markram. Predictive in silico reconstruction of input-output organization of neocortical neurons*. Abstracts, Society for Neuroscience 2014, Washington DC, U.S.A.
* This abstract was selected for a dynamic presentation among several other submitted abstracts.
2. S. Ramaswamy, E. Muller, J. King and H. Markram. The Synaptic Network in the Neocortical Microcircuit. Abstracts, The Itzhak Parnas Memorial Frontiers in Synaptic Functions Conference 2014, Jerusalem, Israel.
3. S. Ramaswamy, E. Muller, M. Reimann, J. King and H. Markram. Predictive in silico reconstruction of prevalent polysynaptic pathways in the neocortical microcircuit. Abstracts, Society for Neuroscience 2013, San Diego, U.S.A.
4. D.Keller, G. Chindemi, S. Ramaswamy, J. King, W. van Geit, V. Delattre, E. Muller and H. Markram. Impact of network activity on the extracellular ionic environment and vice versa. Abstracts, Society for Neuroscience 2013, San Diego, U.S.A.
5. G. Chindemi, D. Keller, V. Delattre, S. Ramaswamy, E. Muller and H. Markram. Biophysical mechanisms of network- timing-dependent plasticity. Abstracts, Society for Neuroscience 2013, San Diego, U.S.A.
6. E. B. Muller, M. Reimann, D. Keller, S. Ramaswamy, G. Chindemi, V. Delattre, W. Van Geit and H. Markram. Fine control of state-dependent responses to stimulation in a reconstructed model of the neocortical tissue by extracellular Ca2+. Abstracts, Society for Neuroscience 2013, San Diego, U.S.A.
7. H. Markram, S. Ramaswamy and the Blue Brain Consortium. A Unifying Model of the Neocortical Column 2: Facts and Figures. Abstracts, Society for Neuroscience 2012, New Orleans, U.S.A.
8. S. Ramaswamy, E. Muller, D. Keller. J. King, F. Schürmann and H. Markram. A Unifying Model of the Neocortical Column 10: The Input-Output Synaptomes of Neocortical Neurons. Abstracts, Society for Neuroscience 2012, New Orleans, U.S.A.
9. S. Ramaswamy, J. King, S.L Hill, F. Schürmann and H. Markram. In silico synaptic transmission of intra- and inter- laminar excitatory pathways of the neocortex. Abstracts, Society for Neuroscience 2011, Washington D.C, U.S.A.
10. S. Ramaswamy, S. L Hill, J. King, I Riachi, F. Schürmann and H. Markram. Calibration of monosynaptic pathways and connections in a model of the neocortical column. Abstracts, FENS 2008, Geneva, Switzerland.
11. R. Ranjan, S. Druckmann, A. Gidon, P. H. Goodman E. Hay, S. L. Hill, S. Ramaswamy, F. Schürmann and H. Markram. The Blue Brain Project: Capturing parameters from genetically-prescribed ion channels for neuron modelling. Abstracts, Society for Neuroscience 2007, San Diego, USA
12. S. L. Hill, S. Ramaswamy, N. Chapochnikov, S. Druckmann, A. Gidon, E. Hay, A. Mace, R. Ranjan, I. Riachi, F. Schürmann, K. Srinivasan, T. Tränkler and H. Markram. The Blue Brain Project: Calibrating a model of the neocortical column. Society for Neuroscience 2007, San Diego, USA.
13. S. Druckmann, A. Gidon, E. Hay, S. L. Hill, A. Jan, A. Mace, S. Ramaswamy, R. Ranjan, A. Rodriguez Dominguez, F. Schürmann, H. Markram and I. Segev. The Blue Brain Project: Automated fitting of a diversity of single neuron electrical behaviours. Society for Neuroscience 2007, San Diego, USA.
14. F. Schürmann, J. Hernando Vieites, S. L. Hill, M. L. Hines, S. Lasserre, J. G. King, S. Ramaswamy, R. Ranjan, A. Rodriguez Dominguez, T. Tränkler and H. Markram. The Blue Brain Project: Simulating a large-scale network of morphologically complex neurons. Society for Neuroscience 2007, San Diego, USA.
15. S.L Hill, S. Ramaswamy, R, Ranjan, S. Druckman, A. Gidon, J. Bao, I. Riachi, F. Schürmann and H. Markram. The Blue Brain Project: Calibrating the neocortical column. Abstracts, CNS 2007, Toronto, Canada.
16. S. Ramaswamy, F. Baroni, P. Varona and GG. De Polavieja. Time-scales in the interplay between calcium and voltage dynamics. Abstracts, CNS 2006, Edinburgh, UK.
17. K.M Martinez, S. Ramaswamy, M. Toledo-Rodriguez, R. Ranjan, I. Segev and H. Markram. The Impact of Axonal And Dendritic Morphology on Electrical Properties of Neurons. Abstracts, FENS 2006, Vienna, Austria.
18. S. Ramaswamy, B.V Kiran, H. Kashyap and U.J Shenoy. Classification of power system transients using wavelet transforms and probabilistic neural networks. Abstracts IEEE-TENCON 2003, Asia-Pacific region, Bangalore, India.
1. S. Ramaswamy. Emergent Properties of in silico Synaptic Transmission in a Model of the Rat Neocortical Column. PhD. thesis, Thèse EPFL, no 5208 (2011). http://library.epfl.ch/theses/?nr=5208
2. S. Ramaswamy. The Loss of Mains Problem in Power Islanding. Masters thesis, Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, The University of Strathclyde (2004).