PublicationsMy publications in Google ScholarMy publications in DBLPMy papers on EPFL's publications server (InfoScience)
Prospective PhD students and postdocs please read this before contacting me.
EPFL IC IINFCOM DATA
BC 260 (Bâtiment BC)
Web site: Web site: https://data.epfl.ch
Fields of expertise
BiographyChristoph Koch is a professor of Computer Science at EPFL, specializing in data management. Until 2010, he was an Associate Professor in the Department of Computer Science at Cornell University. Previously to this, from 2005 to 2007, he was an Associate Professor of Computer Science at Saarland University. Earlier, he obtained his PhD in Artificial Intelligence from TU Vienna and CERN (2001), was a postdoctoral researcher at TU Vienna and the University of Edinburgh (2001-2003), and an assistant professor at TU Vienna (2003-2005). He obtained his Habilitation degree in 2004.
He has won Best Paper Awards at PODS 2002, ICALP 2005, SIGMOD 2011, VLDB 2014, and GPCE 2017, an Outrageous Ideas and Vision Paper Award at CIDR 2013, a Google Research Award (in 2009), and an ERC Grant (in 2011). He (co-)chaired the program committees of DBPL 2005, WebDB 2008, ICDE 2011, VLDB 2013, and PODS 2019, and was PC vice-chair of ICDE 2008 and ICDE 2009. He has served on the editorial board of ACM Transactions on Internet Technology and as Editor-in-Chief of PVLDB.
21st ACM SIGMOD-SIGACT-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems (PODS) 2002 Best Paper Award
Georg Gottlob, Christoph Koch: "Monadic Datalog and the Expressive Power of Languages for Web Information Extraction"
32nd International Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming (ICALP) 2005 Best Paper Award
Martin Grohe, Christoph Koch, Nicole Schweikardt: "Tight Lower Bounds for Query Processing on Streaming and External Memory Data"
Category: Structured Data
Foundations of Algebraic and Dynamic Data Management Systems
SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data 2011 Best Paper Award
Nitin Gupta, Lucja Kot, Sudip Roy, Gabriel Bender, Johannes Gehrke, Christoph Koch: "Entangled Queries: Enabling Declarative Data-Driven Coordination"
Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research (CIDR) 2013 Outrageous Ideas and Vision Paper Award
Christoph Koch: "Abstraction without regret in data management systems"
40th International Conference on Very Large Databases (VLDB) 2014 Best Paper Award
Yannis Klonatos, Christoph Koch, Tiark Rompf, Hassan Chafi: "Building Efficient Query Engines in a High-Level Language"
16th International Conference on Generative Programming: Concepts & Experience (GPCE) 2017 Best Paper Award
Lionel Parreaux, Amir Shaikhha, Christoph Koch: "Quoted Staged Rewriting: A Practical Approach to Library-Defined Optimizations"
ACM SIGLOG/EATCS/EACSL/KGS Alonzo Church Award
"For fundamental work on logic-based web data extraction and querying tree-structured data"
- Dan Olteanu (Postdoc, Apr. 2005-June 2007). Now: Full Professor, Department of Computer Science, University of Zurich, Switzerland.
- Stefanie Scherzinger (PhD Saarland University, Jan. 2008). Now: Full Professor, University of Passau, Germany.
- Lyublena Antova (PhD Cornell University, Jan. 2010). Now: Research Scientist, Datometry, Inc., USA
- Lucja Kot (PhD Cornell University, Jan. 2010). Now: Grammatech, Inc., USA
- Yanif Ahmad (Postdoc, Jan. 2009-July 2010). First employment: Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science, Johns Hopkins University. Now: Senior Staff Software Engineer, Google, Inc., USA
- Oliver Kennedy (PhD Cornell University, May 2011; Postdoc at EPFL until August 2012). Now: Associate Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, SUNY Buffalo, USA.
- Immanuel Trummer (PhD EPFL, June 2016). Now: Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science, Cornell University, USA.
- Milos Nikolic (PhD EPFL, Aug. 2016). Now: Lecturer, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh, UK.
- Aleksandar Vitorovic (PhD EPFL, Nov. 2016). Now: Swisscom, Inc., Switzerland.
- Mohammed ElSeidy (PhD EPFL, Oct. 2017). Now: RelationalAI, Inc., Canada.
- Mohammad Dashti (PhD EPFL, Oct. 2017). Now: Staff Engineer, MongoDB, Inc., USA.
- Yannis Klonatos (PhD EPFL, Jan. 2017). Now: Swisscom, Inc., Switzerland.
- Daniel Lupei (PhD EPFL, Oct. 2017). Now: Google, Inc., Switzerland.
- Amir Shaikhha (PhD EPFL, Aug. 2018). Now: Lecturer, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh, UK.
- Lionel Parreaux (PhD EPFL, Nov. 2020). Now: Assistant Professor, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong S.A.R.
- Bas Ketsman (Postdoc, Apr. 2018 - Sept. 2019). Now: Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium.
Teaching & PhD